The NFL and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Weeks

You know the book, “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day”? Perhaps a sequel, “The NFL and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Weeks,” would be appropriate after pro football’s recent bad press.

The NFL has been at the forefront of social media over the past two weeks, with news spreading about players charged with domestic abuse, assault and child negligence. Five were in the spotlight, but two stood out in this whirlwind of issues: Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson.

The negative news started Sept. 8 when Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely from the league after TMZ released a video of him knocking out his wife and dragging her from an elevator.

The NFL decided to punish Rice before a rule was established that a domestic violence offense would result in a six-game suspension. As comedian Jon Stewart quipped, “Let that be a lesson to NFL players everywhere. If you hit a woman, they will not let you hit a man for six more weeks.”

To add to the drama, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell allegedly lied about not seeing the elevator tape, which critics believe was sent to him last April. Turning a blind eye to this serious case of domestic abuse to protect a superstar like Rice has made the issue an even bigger catastrophe for the league.

But the league’s problems didn’t end in Baltimore. Four days later, Minnesota Vikings All-Pro running back Adrian Peterson, the NFL’s poster boy for discipline and dedication, was indicted for child abuse and neglect, and has been placed on the Vikings’ exempt list.

This former MVP has turned into “World’s Worst Dad” in a matter of weeks after he admitted to using a switch, a rod used for spanking, to discipline his son. Peterson legitimized his actions by saying it was the same kind of punishment he experienced as a child growing up in Texas.

“The Viking teammate who said of Adrian Peterson, ‘He’s a great father,’—statistically, he’s great at fathering children. That’s not the same thing as being a great father,” renowned sportscaster Bob Costas said.

An athlete who was highly respected by fellow football players and fans around the globe has become the definition of disappointment to people who once wore his jersey, chanted his name or picked him first in their fantasy football league.

Unfortunately, the NFL’s reputation management issue continued. On Aug. 31, San Francisco 49ers defensive end Ray McDonald was arrested on domestic violence charges, but was still allowed to play in the team’s first three games. Carolina Panthers star defensive end Greg Hardy was placed on the NFL’s exempt list Sept. 17 after being convicted on two counts of domestic violence. The same day, Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer was charged on multiple counts of aggravated assault.

The NFL needs to turn over a new leaf and lay down the law to show the world it will not tolerate these actions off the field. As famous sports figures, it’s the responsibility of players to be positive role models for fans. By going against this expectation, players are drawing negative attention both to themselves and the sports industry as a whole. Kids look up to athletes and follow their actions, so when they commit heinous acts, the ensuing media circus risks glamorizing situations over focusing on the serious, criminal consequences.

The league needs to be proactive and take measures against these players, making them fully accountable for their actions. Now, I won’t be Bill Simmons and call Goodell names, but the commissioner shouldn’t excuse this behavior in any way, even though the NFL fan base applauds violence on the field. There needs to be a clear distinction between what actions should be left on the field and what is acceptable for players to take home.

Domestic abuse is never acceptable and just because someone is a famous sports figure doesn’t absolve him or her of this intolerable behavior.

There are more than 1,700 NFL players, yet five players and the league commissioner have single-handedly turned “America’s Sport” into “America’s Embarrassment.”

Correction (10/1/14): A previous version of this story stated Rice was suspended for six games. Rice was suspended indefinitely, and the NFL reported a six-game suspension will be the punishment for players found guilty of domestic abuse in the future.