Is there an alternative to Nutella?

From pancakes to bananas, Nutella’s chocolatey goodness can make any study snack or midnight dessert irresistible. But, horrifyingly enough, this addictive creation could disappear from people’s pantries.

According to an article published by The Washington Post on August 15, a hazelnut shortage in Turkey could cause an increase in the price of Nutella. Which poses the question—is there an alternative to this chocolate concoction? After testing multiple products, I’ve found two alternative chocolate spreads to replace Nutella during this shortage: Hershey’s Chocolate Spread and Skippy’s Natural Peanut Butter Spread with Dark Chocolate.

Photo by Rose Pagano.
There are two alternative chocolate spreads that could replace Nutella during this shortage: Hershey’s Chocolate Spread and Skippy’s Natural Peanut Butter Spread with Dark Chocolate. Photo by Rose Pagano.

Hershey’s Chocolate Spread (price: $3.38):

Hershey has a monopoly on the chocolate business, and now seems to be conquering the world of breakfast condiments. Hershey is pitching its spread as a perfect topping for pretzels, toast and apples—pretty much everything Nutella is commonly used for.

“This is better than Nutella,” sophomore Ari Gutman said. “It’s like melted chocolate, and it doesn’t stick to your mouth so it’s not overwhelming.”

Most students agree with Gutman. In fact, 83 percent of students who sampled these products preferred Hershey’s to Skippy’s.

But not everyone seems to think this spread would complement other foods as nicely as Nutella.

“I don’t like it,” freshman Isabella Cruise-Hill said. “I would never put it on toast which is what it’s advertising. It just tastes like Hershey’s syrup.”

I agree with Cruise-Hill. Toast with this spread wouldn’t be as appetizing as it would be with Nutella. Hershey’s spread masks the food you’re pairing it with, not complement it.

Overall, this product is best suited for die-hard chocolate and Hershey lovers who won’t miss the obvious absence of hazelnuts.

Skippy’s Natural Peanut Butter Spread with Dark Chocolate (price: $2.68):

This product is the lovechild of chocolate and peanut butter, and doesn’t have hazelnuts.

Skippy is another brand that’s dabbling in the world of Nutella-like condiments. It created peanut butter infused with chocolate, which is a great substitute for Nutella.

But similar to the Hershey’s spread, Skippy’s has a hard time finding a balance with its ingredients. But with this product, the lack of chocolate is the problem.

“Skippy’s [chocolate-infused] peanut butter has too much peanut butter,” sophomore Rachel Hazan said. “There was not very much chocolate.”

This chocolate peanut butter was a good idea, but the peanut taste overpowers the chocolate. As a result, the condiment tastes like ordinary peanut butter, and doesn’t resemble Nutella in the slightest.

Verdict:

We all know that Nutella would be hard to replace in our chocolate, hazelnut-loving hearts. But of these two knock-offs, Hershey’s is the better alternative because it’s most similar to Nutella.

So go out and buy your Hershey’s chocolate spread before there’s a chocolate shortage.