Bigger than bigger, but is that better?

With Apple’s recent announcement of the iPhones 6 and 6 Plus and the Apple Watch, the intimacy between a person and their electronic device is unparalleled with anything ever experienced so far. At least that’s what Apple says.

Customers line up outside the Apple store in Bethesda for the iPhone 6. Photo by Jordan Schnitzer.

People are becoming too attached to their electronic devices. Apple calls this intimacy, but I call it addiction. The new Apple products are making it easier to be on electronics 24/7, which don’t necessarily improve your life.

These two products are certainly impressive. Some new features on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus include the iSight camera, high resolution Retina HD display, and a 4.7 and 5.5 inch screen, respectively.

The Apple Watch has touch sensitivity, heart rate sensors and the ability to wake the display by raising your wrist.

While the new additions to the iPhone can create a better experience, and the Apple Watch is downright cool, they are completely unnecessary.

The first cell phones were large and chunky. As technology advanced, they became sleeker and smaller. The iPhone 6 is nowhere near the size of the first cell phones, but it’s still somewhat off-putting. A larger screen and a larger phone are inconvenient and pointless.

.7 inches may not seem like it would make a difference, but when you can’t fit your phone in your back pocket, there’s a problem.

This new iPhone was introduced to compete with Android, but people buy the iPhone because of its unique design and name behind it. If I wanted an Android, I would buy an Android. Now I’m stuck with a look-alike that mostly appeals to the business world, not teenagers.

Apple claims that it’s creating the Apple Watch to make an accessible and relevant personal device. This small watch is supposed to allow the wearer to “embrace individuality” and “inspire desire.”

That’s a lot of pressure to put on one watch.

There’s not much the Apple Watch can do that we can’t achieve on our cell phones. Why does a person need to have their entire life available as fast as they can check their watch?

Apple products have always been hip—appealing to the young, creative types. How many high school students really want to check their heart rate on their watch? And how many students even wear watches?

As a devoted Apple customer in need of a new phone, I will continue to buy Apple products, knowing, however, that disappointment is right around the corner.