Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Northrup Grumman films infomercial for CyberPatriot competition

Northrup Grumman, a defense contractor, filmed interviews with computer science students May 1 for an infomercial that will advertise the CyberPatriot competition.

North Ropgrumman prepare to film a segment of the infomercial with junior James Hastings. Photo by Sara Allen.

The competition, which the Air Force association hosts, challenges high school students to defend a computer security network against hackers. Students from around the country work in teams to keep certain files on the computer, while keeping the system running.

There are two sections of the competition: one for junior ROTC students and one for students not affiliated with the military.

“They’ve been going for two years and just had the competition in February,” Northrup Grumman media relations director Megan Mitchell said. “We gave the Air Force a grant to help out with the competition and we’re also helping recruit schools and providing them with mentors and coaches.”

Northrup Grumman chose to film at Whitman for a variety of reasons.

“The school is ideal to compete in this type of competition,” Mitchell said. “We are really hoping you will start at least one team. We chose Whitman because you are representative of the population we would like to participate in this program. We feel that the best way to involve high school students is to ask high school students to ask other high school students.”

The video will be on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook once they finish filming and editing.