Top five movies to see this summer

With summer right around the corner, students are due to have a lot more free time on their hands. What better place to spend that time than at the movies? Here are the top five movies to see this summer:

“Transformers: Age of Extinction” (June 25):

The latest installment in Michael Bay’s “Transformers” series, “Age of Extinction” looks to be a fresh change of pace from the previous movies. With lead Shia Labeouf replaced by Mark Wahlberg, “Age of Extinction” will already have better acting than its three predecessors. And as if giant fighting robots and Mark Wahlberg aren’t enough to get you to see this movie, I have one word for you. Dinobots. Yeah, robot dinosaurs will be in this movie. Might as well buy your tickets now.

This image released by 20th Century Fox shows Caesar, performed by Andy Serkis, in a scene from "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." (AP Photo/20th Century Fox, David James)
This image released by 20th Century Fox shows Caesar, performed by Andy Serkis, in a scene from “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.” (AP Photo/20th Century Fox, David James)

“Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” (July 11):

A sequel to 2011’s “Rise of the Planet of the Apes,” “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” picks up several years after the first movie left off, with humanity’s population devastated by a virus and a now-growing nation of intelligent apes on the rise. Starring Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman and, of course, Andy Serkis, this looks to be a thrilling sequel to the 2011 blockbuster.

“Hercules” (July 25):

While critics panned “The Legend of Hercules,” the first movie based on Hercules this year, this movie promises to be much better. The film stars Dwayne Johnson as Hercules, who takes on a variety of challenges ranging from mythical creatures to fighting whole armies. This film couldn’t be more full of action. It also showcases a great supporting cast, including Ian Mcshane, known for his role in HBO’s 2004 series “Deadwood,” and John Hurt, a two-time academy award nominee.

“Guardians of The Galaxy” (August 1):

This image released by Disney - Marvel shows Chris Pratt in a scene from "Guardians Of The Galaxy." (AP Photo/Disney - Marvel)
This image released by Disney – Marvel shows Chris Pratt in a scene from “Guardians Of The Galaxy.” (AP Photo/Disney – Marvel)

“Guardians of the Galaxy” will be the latest addition to Marvel’s ever-growing cinematic universe. Based on the 2008 comic book series of the same name, the film follows a band of intergalactic misfits, including a talking tree and a bounty hunter raccoon, which is called upon to save the galaxy. The film also boasts a great cast, including Chris Pratt of “Parks and Recreation,” Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper. With a great basis for the plot and a talented cast, “Guardians of the Galaxy” looks to be a fun, action-packed and promising summer film.

“22 Jump Street” (June 13):

The sequel to 2012’s “21 Jump Street,” “22 Jump Street” has Schmidt and Jenko (Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum) going as undercover cops posing as college students, instead of as high schoolers like in the previous movie. With “21 Jump Street” poking fun at high school culture in a way that hadn’t been done since “Mean Girls,” “22 Jump Street” plans to do the same to college. With a fantastic cast and a great premise, this is a must-see comedy for this summer.