Junior Sam Dodd directs short film

Few people can say they’ve directed a movie, let alone directed multiple during their high school career. Junior Sam Dodd is part of this minority.

Dodd is directing a ten-minute film for his enrollment in a filmmaking course provided by Imagination Stage, a theatre and arts organization in Bethesda for kids ranging from toddlers to teens.

Junior Sam Dodd watches actors from behind the set of a film on which he previously worked. Now, Dodd is directing a 10-minute film for his enrollment in a filmmaking course provided by Imagination Stage. Photo courtesy Sam Dodd.

During the course, which is called Independent Study, students receive equipment and suggestions from instructors, but write, direct, edit and produce a project of their own.

The movie, entitled “Brother Drugs,” depicts a brotherly relationship gone awry because of involvement with drugs. It touches on peer pressure, sibling rivalry, familial disapproval and hidden emotional conflicts.

According to Dodd, the idea for the film came during his Psychology class when they discussed the deeper meaning behind taking the moral path over the legal path.

Though there are a few adults supervising the production, Dodd has 13 students as crew and cast members to help make his movie a reality. They consist of Whitman students and alumni, and BCC students. Several crewmembers were chosen because of their experience with drama performances.

“They’re properly educated in the technicalities of the theater field, which translates rather well to the film industry,” Dodd said.

Dodd is drawing from his previous experience making films, but is also adding a few new techniques such as fake blood and tattoos, a fog machine, new camera mounts, and filming a car skid out of a driveway and zoom into the street.

“In the past I’ve tried to avoid using special effects because I have not felt the need or acquired the ability to execute them with the certain amount of professionalism I wanted to obtain,” Dodd said. “But now I feel as though it is necessary and we do now have the proper material and resources to create the effects that we need.”

His film is currently involved in pre-production, which includes writing blocking notes, creating an equipment list and getting a contract signed. Dodd hopes to begin filming by June 15 and have a finished product by July 10.