The problem with “Equality Zones”

Strolling through the hallways, I find that I’m surrounded by intolerant classrooms. I feel judged, like my basic human right of dignity is being threatened.

But finally, I reach the sanctuary of an “Equality Zone.” These bubbles of serenity provide relief to those who in other rooms may be considered unequal.

The posters have been in the school for over a decade, and every couple of years there is a new push for teachers to hang them up, said principal Alan Goodwin. Photo by Julia Pearl-Schwartz.

Three Black & White reporters and I patrolled the hallways and we were appalled to find that only 18 classrooms in the school were publicly advertised as “Equality Zones.”

These tranquil areas are marked by a distinct red triangle highlighting the cooperative handshake between a white and black hand. Beneath the triangle, it says, “This is a place where human rights are respected and where lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people of good will are welcomed and supported.”

The posters have been in the school for over a decade, and every couple of years there is a new push for teachers to hang them up, said principal Alan Goodwin. Teachers volunteer to display the posters, and Goodwin says they help generate an accepting atmosphere throughout the school.

But—pardon my French—why the heck do we need to hang these things up? Shouldn’t all of Whitman be an “Equality Zone”?

And speaking of French, there seems to be a higher concentration of “Equality Zones” in the foreign language classrooms. So if you’re afraid of teachers not accepting you, I suggest you just fill your entire eight-period schedule with Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Arabic and Russian (ASL too, if you want an 8-period day to avoid the ever-intolerant confines of the cafeteria). Classes in other departments may not foster similar equality.

It seems to me that we have three options here, because I won’t stand for a mere 15 percent of my school being tolerant.

Option 1: All teachers support this system. But if we’re going to do this, we’re going to do it right. Teachers would need to plaster their doors in posters so that no wood shows. Twice the posters equals twice the equality. 157 times the posters equals 157 times the equality.

Option 2: Take the posters down. The “Equality Zones” are redundant when viewed against the school as a whole. The counseling office states in its program beliefs, “All students have a right to equitable treatment and access to opportunities and supports.” Having to reaffirm that throughout the school is unnecessary and places a stigma on areas not identified by the posters.

Or option 3: Compromise. Hang up the posters sparsely throughout the hallways, not on classroom doors. This would get rid of the inconsistencies from classroom to classroom, making the entire school an “Equality Zone,” not just 18 classrooms. And even if they aren’t necessary, the “Equality Zones” serve as a helpful reminder to be accepting, generating an atmosphere of tolerance.

In the end, “Equality Zones” are a fair idea, just poorly executed. Promoting acceptance is incredibly important, but placing posters on doors isn’t the way to do it.