Speech and debate coach Anjan Choudhury decides to leave Whitman

Choudhury (third from left) poses with seniors at a recent tournament. Photo courtesy of the Debate Team yahoo network..

After leading the speech and debate team to unparalleled success over the past four years, coach Anjan Choudhury will leave Whitman and move to Texas next fall.

Choudhury, currently a lawyer for D.C. firm Jenner & Block, will fully commit his time to teaching as director of debate and forensics at the Hockaday School in Dallas. Despite graduating magna cum laude from Harvard Law School, Choudhury said debate has always been his true passion.

“No matter how rewarding and exciting a legal career is, my personal calling is to do the very thing I have had the privilege to do with you all these past years–teach speech and debate,” Choudhury wrote in an e-mail to debate team members.

Under Choudhury, the debate program has become a national powerhouse. This year, the team broke the national record for most debaters qualified to the Tournament of Champions in Lincoln-Douglas debate.

“Any attempt I could make at describing his contribution to the team would be an understatement,” junior Daniel Imas said. “There is no doubt in my mind that Whitman would not be where it is without Anjan.”

In 2008, MCPS recognized Choudhury’s work with a Distinguished Service award. In giving him the award, the county cited how Choudhury “plunged into the assignment [of coaching] at a level no student or parent expected.”

Choudhury will stay on as coach until students are finished competing in this year’s national championships. He has already talked with principal Alan Goodwin and debate team sponsor Colin O’Brien about finding a replacement.

To many students, Choudhury will be remembered for his personality along with his achievements.

“Not only is he the best coach in the nation, he is also one of the most amazing people I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with,” Imas said.