Three seniors receive Superintendent’s Performing Arts Award

Seniors Hailey LaRoe, Sydney Wolstein and Jake Zeisel received the Superintendent’s Performing Arts Award, which recognizes “outstanding achievements in high school Theatre and Dance.”

The students were nominated by director Christopher Gerken for their respective roles in Whitman Drama over the years.

The awards gala took place in the Rockville High School auditorium. There were two to three nominations from each school around the county, and each nominated student received the award.

Seniors Jake Zeisel, Sydney Wolstein and Hailey La Roe pose for a picture at the awards gala. They recieved the Superintendent’s Performing Arts Award, which recognizes “outstanding achievements in high school Theatre, and Dance.” Photo courtesy Christopher Gerken.

“The award is basically recognition of commitment and dedication to the drama and dance department at schools,” Wolstein said.

Each of these seniors made a significant contribution to the drama department, whether from center stage or behind the curtain.

“Between these three people you have an immense amount of dedication to the program,” junior Erin Craig, a prominent contributor to Whitman Drama, said. “They have a passion and affinity for what they do, and did a really good job of being role models for the younger generation.”

Wolstein started in drama as a freshman. She has acted in every musical since, was on tech for one play, and sung in talent show since her junior year. This year, she was Drama Club president.

“Coming into school as a freshman and having a group of older kids that I looked up to eased my transition into high school,” Wolstein said. “Through the years and switching roles, and becoming that for someone has been a really eye-opening experience for me.”

Wolstein emphasized how supportive and close-knit the drama department is. Such a welcoming community made it easy for Zeisel to join.

Zeisel, a latecomer to the drama department, made his first appearance on the Whitman stage the summer after his junior year in Spring Awakening.

“I didn’t think I would be interested in doing any theater in high school or ever really,” Zeisel said. “I love singing and playing music but I didn’t really want to explore that side of the arts.”

However, he enjoyed his experience in the summer production, and when he returned to Whitman his senior year, he acted in Miss Saigon and Lord of the Flies.

The people he befriended became his favorite part of Whitman drama, Zeisel said.

LaRoe joined the tech crew as a freshman, became set and scenic designer as a junior, and was technical director as a senior. She was surprised to hear she had been nominated.

“It’s a really special award that I hadn’t really ever thought of myself getting,” LaRoe said. “Receiving such an honor like this is amazing. I’m just so ecstatic that Chris nominated me for it especially as someone who works in tech.”