“Neighbors” is both hilarious and relatable

The film “Neighbors” is an instant summer classic, blending gut-busting comedy, an all-star cast and a few touching moments to make it a must-see.

The movie begins when Mac Radner (Seth Rogen) and his wife Kelly Radner (Rose Byrne) move into their first house—a house on which they spent all their savings. Everything seems to be going well for the new parents until the fraternity Delta Psi, led by frat brothers Teddy Sanders (Zac Efron) and Pete Regazolli (Dave Franco), moves next door.

Film Summer Preview
This image released by Universal Pictures shows Zac Efron, left, and Dave Franco in a scene from “Neighbors.” (AP Photo/Universal Pictures, Glen Wilson)

Despite initial attempts to remain friendly with Delta Psi, relations eventually turn for the worse leading to all-out war between the Radners and the fraternity.

At a 97-minute run time, “Neighbors” doesn’t lose steam once, delivering a steady stream of laughs for the audience. Be forewarned, however, “Neighbors” does merit its R-rating with nudity along with crude language.

Rogen is extremely likeable as usual, and gives a hilarious performance that audiences are sure to love.

The film’s real star however, was Zac Efron. Efron epitomized the stereotypical frat boy and kept laughs coming throughout the whole movie.

Comedian Hannibal Buress, who portrayed a mostly-clueless cop named Officer Watkins, was absolutely hilarious. Buress had me laughing nearly every time he came on screen.

The film’s one flaw is that it relies too heavily on slapstick humor. While funny at first, it becomes a little repetitive.

The movie frequently shocks the audience as well, which, although funny at times, made viewers uncomfortable.

Surprisingly, and despite the raunchy humor, “Neighbors” succeeds in delivering a timeless message about the values of growing old that audiences are sure to find heartwarming though slightly cliché.

With a heartfelt and relatable message, and a great deal of laughter, “Neighbors” is this summer’s must-see comedy.