Second City performs sketch comedy, improv for Post Prom fundraiser

Nationally acclaimed comedy group  “The Second City,” which has churned out such T.V. stars as Steven Colbert, Tina Fey and Steve Carell, performed at Whitman Sunday March 16 to raise money for Post Prom.

According to Whitman parent Dori Holaday, one of the co-chairs of the Post Prom committee, this event will be one of the two biggest sources of money for Post Prom, the other being parent donations. In previous years, Whitman has hosted political satire group “The Capitol Steps,” but Holaday said they wanted to switch things up this year.

The performance drew a crowd of about 850 people, she said, and the profit will be about $13-14,000.

Parent Sherry Schweitzer was called up on stage during Second City's performance Sunday night, which raised money for Post Prom. Schweitzer participated in a sketch about prom night, during which she was taken to Olive Garden and forced to interact with an ex-boyfriend. Photo courtesy Sherry Schweitzer.
Parent Sherry Schweitzer was called up on stage to participate in an improvised sketch during Second City’s performance Sunday night, which raised money for Post Prom. Photo courtesy Sherry Schweitzer.

“The Second City” performs two different styles of comedy. Half of their show on Sunday involved pre-written sketch comedy that spanned themes from an awkward math teacher attempting to flirt with a gym teacher, to a sketch about ridiculous baby names.

The other half was improvised, based on audience suggestions such as “bromance,” when asked for a type of relationship and “that’s my pancake!” when asked for a line of dialogue an audience member had heard that day.

Former Whitman parent Sherry Schweitzer took on more than she expected when the troop called her up on stage to participate in a sketch about prom night. She was taken out to Olive Garden, given a ride in a yellow taxicab, and forced into an altercation with her ‘ex-boyfriend’ all in 10 minutes.

“I thought their improvs were fantastic,” Schweitzer said.

Second City cast member Jasbir Singh confirmed Holaday’s statement that the cast of the comedy troop was more than satisfied with the venue.

“They treated us really well as soon as we walked in,” Singh said, who appreciated the hospitality amidst his constant traveling.

“The Second City” is based in Chicago but has three troops that travel all over the country. This particular group had just arrived from North Carolina, and is on their way to Ohio next week.

Singh said that Second City usually does shows at universities and community theaters, and although this was a somewhat cleaner version of the show for a high school audience, the venue was a novel experience for the group.

“It’s a fun way to bring the community together,” Holaday said.