Postal Service may cut Saturday deliveries

People who look forward to checking their mail first thing every Saturday may soon be in for a surprise. The Postal Service’s postal governing board appealed to the independent Postal Regulatory Commission in early March to drop Saturday deliveries from their workweeks.

Components of the proposal include limiting mail delivery and collection to Monday through Friday. Other ideas of the proposal include closing certain mail centers and post offices. On the other hand, if the proposal passes, postal offices will remain open on Saturdays, and the express mail delivery will continue seven days a week.

Congress must also agree to the Postal Service’s changes.. However, not everyone is on board with the proposal.

“I would be in favor of a small price increase in postage rather than a cessation in Saturday service,” Potomac resident Steve Hooker says. ” The Postal Service is better off leaving the work schedule alone and just raising postage prices by a few cents to help revenue. People are used to receiving mail on Saturdays, and this would affect bulk mailers who send their heavy packages on weekends very much.”

According to the Postal Service, the plan may save them more than $3 billion annually, which would make up for the $3.8 billion lost last year.