Why “twinning” in the Olympics, and in life, is an advantage

As we’ve watched the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, we haven’t focused too much on quads or triple axels or 720s or Holy Crails. We’re still not sure we can tell those apart. Instead, we’ve been applauding the role that twins have played in the drama of the Winter Games. Never before have we seen so many twin siblings performing at such high levels in one place at one time.

We often find each other in the same place, which is perhaps not so surprising for a set of identical twins. We share many of the same interests and gravitate toward the same extracurricular activities, like writing for this newspaper. Friends and family often remind us to develop our own interests.  Remember to be your “own person,” they say. But Sochi proves that a twin relationship adds something special for siblings who pursue the same activity.

We have always appreciated the understanding, support and comfort that come from having such a close sibling. Knowing that there is an unshakable bond between us makes achieving our own, individual bests a lot easier. The performances of several sets of twins in this year’s Olympics illustrate that having a twin can bring out the best in a person.

American biathlon skier Lanny Barnes was able to race in the 2014 Games as a result of her twin sister Tracy’s selfless support for her sister’s achievement. Lanny initially failed to make the Olympic team because illness prevented her from racing in the qualifying rounds.  Tracy, who did qualify, gave up her spot so that her older sister by five minutes, who was next in line to qualify, could go to the Games. The connection between the twins was so powerful that one was willing to help the other achieve a dream, even at the expense of her own.

The speed skating competitions in Sochi also benefited from the persistence of the long-haired Mulder twins, Michel and Ronald, from the Netherlands. In the men’s 500-meter race, Michel and Ronald won gold and bronze, and only .15 seconds separated their times. These twins pursued the same passion, and that decision ultimately paid off for both of them.

Three sets of twins participated in the women’s hockey game between the U.S. and Switzerland. The set from the U.S., Monique and Jocelyne Lamoreux, call themselves “the hockey twins.” Their shared interest led them to play together in college, to compete in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver and finally, to play victoriously in the Sochi Games. Jocelyne said in a Wall Street Journal article that after playing together their whole lives, they can feel each other’s presence on the ice. They know just where the other will be during a game.

We applaud these twins and every other who has embraced and enjoyed the gift of being a twin. Being able to share our passions brings out the best in each of us. While we surely don’t ice skate at an Olympic level, we each know how to encourage the other in reaching personal golden heights.