Secrets to a successful and special Valentine’s Day

Don’t make this year just any regular kind of Valentine’s Day. Here are some ideas that will ensure a sweet path to your crush’s heart.

The Foodie:
Don’t have enough money to pay for a fancy dinner for you and your Valentine? Who said you can’t have fun while staying home? Cooking a meal together is a great way to spice things up, literally. Meet at Barnes and Noble and go through books in the cooking section together, or look at Delish.com and Food Network for recipe ideas. Once you two have picked a few of your favorite recipes, go to the grocery store to get your ingredients and start cooking.

If you and the lover are not great chefs or want different meals in your repertoires, L’Academie de Cuisine offers recreational cooking classes ranging from croissant making to sushi making. They also hold couples cooking classes with openings on the night of Feb. 14.

The Music Lover:
Going to a concert is a guaranteed good time. It’s the perfect place to get your groove on, and make your move.

If you’re looking to keep things simple, Coffeehouse on Feb. 14 in the WAUD is sure to be a great date. Bring your significant other or new fling, and watch fellow students jam out starting at 7 p.m.

You can also check out shows coming up at local venues like The Fillmore in Silver Spring, the 9:30 Club and Rams Head Live. Bigger venues like Jiffy Lube Live or The Verizon Center generally have more expensive shows, but more popular bands. Jammin’ Java in Vienna hosts many acoustic coffee shop style shows, if you’re looking for something more low-key.

If you can’t find any concerts for your special night, get two concert tickets to see your Valentine’s favorite band and give them as a gift and a future date. The anticipation and promise of a future hangout will definitely keep you and your date excited.

If you’re the musical type yourself, try writing a song and performing it for your Valentine. Nothing will give you more extra credit than a love song inspired by your one and only.

If you don’t have a way with words and are not particularly musical, try making a mix tape for your Valentine. Include a hidden message in the names of the songs on the mix tape to incorporate a creative twist.

The Dancer:
If your Valentine has got the “moves” or if they’re lacking in the department of “moves”, Glen Echo Park hosts a variety of dance classes that would make an entertaining Valentine’s Day date. The Park offers social dance classes in swing and salsa to ballroom, tango and belly dance.

The Adventurer:
Take advantage of the beautiful nature our area has to offer and go for a hike on the Billy Goat Trail, or one of the other scenic routes in the Great Falls area. Make a day of it and bring some food, find a nice view and have a picnic together.

Don’t have the endurance for long hikes? Join a professionally organized scavenger hunt or go geocaching. Geocaching, where treasure hunting and GPS technology meet, can make for hours of fun. If you want something more intimate, consider designing your own hunt, leaving clues for your beloved to follow to a romantic destination.

The Gamer:
Whether you’re playing a game or just watching, friendly competition is a great way to get the endorphins going. Go see the Washington Wizards or the Washington Capitals at the Verizon Center. If you want to get competitive yourselves, try old fashioned board games or a fun night of bowling or mini golf. You can even head over to Comet Ping-Pong Pizzeria in D.C. and join in the ping-pong competition by sharing a romantic pie.

The Yogi:
Get in sync with your Valentine and take a couples yoga class. Partner yoga is fun, invigorating and a great way to connect. Try classes at Down Dog Yoga or Core Power Yoga, both in Bethesda. Also The Mindfulness Center in Bethesda holds meditation classes to reconnect your mind, body and soul with your Valentine.