Urban Outfitters should promote positivity rather than poor self-esteem

Like most teens, I love Urban Outfitters for its semi-reasonably priced, quality clothes that keep me up to date with current trends. But recently, I’ve been reevaluating my admiration for the brand after hearing about the so-called “war” against Urban, waged by a diverse selection of interest groups.

African Americans, Native Americans and eating-disorder awareness groups are among those who’ve expressed dissatisfaction with certain bizarre and tasteless products. In particular, complaints have been directed towards inappropriate or derogative words and phrases written on graphic t-shirts.

In early January, Urban Outfitters was criticized after a crop top shirt with the word “depression” written on the front made its way onto their website. The shirt was originally sold for $59.99 but after the first complaints started coming in, the price was reduced to $9.99, then eventually taken off the site entirely.

This was not the first time the store took fire for it’s blatant use of controversial terms. In 2010 the store sold a shirt with “Eat Less” across the front, prompting backlash from “One Tree Hill” actor Sophia Bush and eating-disorder awareness groups.

Unfortunately, Urban also has a reputation for selling controversial products other than garments. “Ghettopoly” was released in 2003, and was intended to be a playful spin on the classic board game. However, nothing was playful about racially based playing cards such as “You got yo whole neighborhood addicted to crack. Collect $50” and taxation squares replaced by “police shakedown” squares.

Why is it necessary for a brand to describe a black-grey t-shirt’s color as “Obama/black”? Why would Urban sell a shirt a shirt covered with “artfully” done marijuana leaves, or adorned with the quote “Irish I were drunk”?

The store is popular among teenagers and young adults, so it should be using its influence to promote strong self-images rather than producing shirts that encourage drinking and fitting a certain body type, or products that amplify stereotypes.

Their shirts are another reminder of what girls hear all over—that they need to fit a certain size or fulfill a certain expectation. Urban has made its way into the closets of teenagers across the country, and it seems as though these offensive products are flat out unnecessary.

I’m sure that for Urban Outfitters, a company worth $1.8 billion, starting a campaign to promote a message of positive self-image wouldn’t be difficult. Statistics show that girls need it. According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, 107 out of every 185 female college students feel pressure to be a certain weight. A prevention campaign from such a well-known brand could significantly lower this stat.

I’ll be going to college in two years, and the idea that many people are not content with themselves is discomforting. College is supposed to be a place where we can stop focusing on fitting in and just be ourselves.

Urban has the ability to change the way girls look at themselves. If they use their power to promote positivity, they could make a small but invaluable change in the way girls see themselves.