Teachers travel, relax in warm weather over break

While students put tests and homework into the back of their minds over winter break, teachers also spent time trying to forget about papers to grade. Whether in another country or staying local, the much-needed break was a great escape for many teachers.

Social studies teacher Peter Kenah endured a 19-hour flight to Sydney, Australia with his Australian girlfriend to visit her family.

Social studies teacher Peter Kenah poses in front of the Sydney Oprah House. Kenah spent his winter break in Australia visiting his girlfriends' family.
Social studies teacher Peter Kenah poses in front of the Sydney Oprah House. Kenah spent his winter break in Australia visiting his girlfriends’ family.

“We didn’t do much of the touristy Great Barrier Reef kind of stuff,” Kenah said. “We just hung out—I was blown away by this paradise with beautiful beaches, perfect weather, happy people and romantic cafes.”

Being so far from home was one of the best parts, Kenah said. Given the 16-hour time difference, contact with Bethesda was nearly impossible.

“I felt so refreshed. It was amazing to have no responsibilities,” Kenah said. “The trip was an incredible stress reliever.”

Warm weather seemed to be the perfect escape, said technology teacher Khan Pham, who spent his time off in California.

“I went to the beach everyday, the weather was 80 degrees there, perfect for lounging around,” Pham said. “I was ecstatic to get some rest and some sunshine away from the bitter cold.”

Pham also enjoyed the west coast dining as a pleasant change to the typical D.C. cuisine, he said.

“I ate a lot of Mexican food,” Pham said. “Not some food masquerading as Mexican food, like Chipotle, which is all we have here.”

For both Pham and Kenah, visiting family was a main part of the break, as with English teacher Matthew Bruneel, who spent the break in Topeka, Kansas with his wife and family.

“Every Christmas, my wife and I always join her side of the family, this year at their home in Topeka,” Bruneel said. “They live on a huge 80 acre farm. It’s a pretty sleepy town where they live, about 20 minutes outside of the city, so it’s definitely more rural.”

The break was excellent timing before the end of the semester, Bruneel added.

“It’s really peaceful,” he said. “It felt excellent to get away and I definitely came back rejuvenated.”