“App” your way through the day

As everyone knows, there is “an app for everything”. But sometimes this concept can be a little overwhelming. As over one million applications are currently available in Apple’s App Store, it can be difficult to scope out new and exciting additions for your smartphone.  Here are 10 iPhone apps you may not know about, but should download to help get you through the day:

6:30 a.m. (Time to get up…)

Sleep Cycle

The Sleep Cycle app is an alarm clock that attempts to wake you up at an optimal place in your sleep cycle. A user places the phone somewhere on his or her bed, and the app senses motion to determine when the user is at the closest possible sleep state to being awake. With a fixed alarm clock, you could be unlucky if you wake up in deep sleep. We all know the feeling. Sleep Cycle uses science instead of chance to ease the process of getting up in the morning.

7:00 a.m. (Catching up on what happened while you were asleep)

Flipboard- Flipboard is a pocket-sized social magazine. The app creates a magazine out of everything social media shares with you—Facebook updates, tweets, Instagram photos, etc.—within categories you choose (news, politics, design, etc.). You can flip through this app with your finger and you’ll always be in the loop.

7:15 a.m. (Keeping track of the school day)

Evernote- Evernote is a virtual agenda book where you can create and edit text notes, to-dos and task lists. With all of the devices in use today including iPhones, iPads, tablets, etc., this app keeps people organized by enabling the syncing of notes across computers and devices.

8:30 a.m. (Math class, if permitted)

MyScript Calculator

It can sometimes be a hassle to plug in grueling math calculations—you forget a parenthesis and your whole answer is off. With MyScript Calculator, you can perform mathematical operations naturally using your handwriting. From trigonometry to complex equations, you write it down and the app comes up with the answer.

11:30 a.m. (Lunchtime excursion)

Urbanspoon- Urbanspoon uses GPS to find restaurants near you, narrowing searches by cuisine and price. The app allows you to see reviews of each restaurant, and has a database of over 300 restaurants solely in the Bethesda area.

2:10 p.m. (Afterschool boredom)

QuizUp- Challenge your friends to trivia tests on just about any topic. It’s very social, with messaging and discussion boards so you can play with your friends even when you’re not with them. QuizUp was released Nov. 7, and accumulated over one million users within its first eight days of launching. As of today, 1.4 million people have downloaded the app, and they’ve played 60 million games, according to PandoDaily.com.

4:30 p.m. (Workout time)

MapMyRun-  This app is simple to use for your daily run. You can draw a running route from a certain location and it offers nutrition information, tracks your time, distance and speed, and even lets you post your stats to social media accounts.

iFitness ($1.99) – If you’re not a big runner, iFitness provides alternatives to running, providing images and instructions for over 300 exercises with videos for more complicated ones. This app allows you to create your own custom workout, adding your own exercises and tracking your progress over time.

8:00 p.m. (Listening to music)

Songza- Whether you’re feeling “angsty”, “introspective”,“motivational” or “trippy”, Songza has the picture-perfect song to play with each activity throughout the day. With a wide variety of music options, Songza allows people to choose music based on activity, moods, genres or decades. Download this free app and have tunes to jam to all day long.

11:00 p.m. (Bedtime)

Relax Melodies- After a long day of doing mathematical calculations, eating food and taking quizzes with friends, people need to wind down. Relax Melodies allows people to do just that, offering sounds ranging from white noise to a rainy day, to a cat purring.