NFL power rankings

Here are this week’s NFL power rankings:

1. Seattle Seahawks (9-1) – The Seahawks are the most complete team in the NFL. While the offensive line has battled injuries this year, Russell Wilson is arguably the best quarterback in the league when it comes to evading a pass rush. The Seahawks’ impressive running game, spearheaded by Marshawn Lynch, commands respect and opens up passing opportunities downfield for Russell Wilson. With dynamic receiver Percy Harvin set to return this week, the offense can only improve. Furthermore, Seattle’s secondary, anchored by Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas, can create turnovers at any point in a game.

2. Kansas City Chiefs (9-0) – Although many are still skeptical about the Chiefs’ offense, there’s no denying the elite status of Kansas City’s defense, which leads the league in sacks and allows just 12.3 points per game. The Chiefs’ biggest test of the year so far comes this Sunday, when they will face the high-powered Denver offense. Jamaal Charles has played brilliantly, and is the team’s leading rusher and receiver.

3. Denver Broncos (8-1) – The Broncos offense has been uncontainable. Peyton Manning simply has too many weapons at his disposal. However, Manning currently has two sprained ankles, and faces the leagues best pass rush this week. The Broncos have not played a tough schedule and have struggled when Manning faces constant pressure.

4. New England Patriots (7-2) – The return of All-Pro tight end Rob Gronkowski has provided the Patriots offense with a major boost. Brady has looked more comfortable in the pocket during recent weeks, and Shane Vereen is fast approaching a return to the field after suffering a wrist injury. Despite the loss of both Vince Wilfork and Aquib Talib, the Patriots have one of the best scoring defenses in the league.

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) changes a play at the line against the Atlanta Falcons during a Nov. 10 game. Russell has guided his team to a 9-1 record and has thrown 17 touchdowns compared to just six interceptions. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

5. New Orleans Saints (7-2) – Drew Brees is playing tremendously well, and the Saints offense was electric on Sunday night, racking up 49 points and 625 total yards. The offense is loaded with playmakers ranging from the 5’ 6” Darren Sproles to the 6’7” Jimmy Graham. However, the real surprise of the year is the defense’s rapid improvement after allowing the most yards in NFL history last year. The Saints’ defensive unit ranks fifth in scoring defense and seventh in total defense.

6. Carolina Panthers (6-3) – The Panthers have won five straight games and have been absolutely dominant on the defensive side of the ball. The Carolina defense is ranked in the top 5 in rushing, passing, and scoring defense. On offense, the Panthers are not quite as impressive, but Cam Newton has managed the game very well during the team’s winning streak.

7. Detroit Lions (6-3) – Calvin Johnson has been flat out unstoppable this year, and frequently draws double and triple coverage, opening up the field for other targets. Reggie Bush has provided offense on the ground and is an excellent receiving option out of the backfield. When receiver Nate Burleson returns from a broken arm, the offense will become even more dynamic. While Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley anchor a strong defensive line, the Lions pass defense is still suspect.

8. Indianapolis Colts (6-3) – The Colts have posted impressive wins against Seattle, San Francisco and Denver, but have looked shaky during the last two weeks, almost losing to Houston and getting blown out against St. Louis. Trent Richardson and the offensive line need to step up their play and take some pressure off Andrew Luck.

9. San Francisco 49ers (6-3) – The 49ers had looked impressive lately—but then they played Carolina. While some of this can be attributed to Carolina’s red-hot defense, Colin Kaepernick has not played particularly well this year. The return of receiver Michael Crabtree could jumpstart the San Francisco offense, but it is unclear when he will be ready to step back on the field.

10. Cincinnati Bengals (6-4) – The Bengals have played great some weeks, and looked terrible during others. The loss of All-Pro defensive tackle Geno Atkins hurts, but the Bengals defense is good enough to overcome it. The problems lie on the offensive side of the ball. Quarterback Andy Dalton must play well consistently for the Bengals to maintain their spot atop the AFC North.