Top 5 scary movies for Halloween

Halloween is finally here, and for all of you who like to be spooked or want to see your friends absolutely terrified, here are the top five scary movies, ranked from “Just a guy in a weird mask” to “I am never leaving my house again.”

5. The “Halloweentown” series: Yes, these fine films are a classic and a staple of any early 2000s kid’s October experience. They follow Marnie, a teen witch, as she battles different villains in the world of Halloweentown. I think this is a negative on the scary scale, but Halloween isn’t the same without a classic Disney Channel movie. Rated TV-PG

4. “The Sixth Sense”: Cole Sear can see dead people, an ability that has made him an outcast in society. He seeks help from a child psychologist played by Bruce Willis (from the days when he still had hair!), who helps him use his gift for good and help out the distressed ghosts. The film was nominated for six different Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director. Rated R.

3. “Carrie”: This 1976 thriller is a cinematic classic. The movie chronicles the life of Carrie, an outcast in high school, as she becomes more and more popular leading up to the prom. When she finds out her prom queen win was simply a plot to humiliate her, she decides to seek revenge. A remake, now in theaters, makes this film especially relevant. Rated R.

2. “The Shining”: Many people are familiar with the eerie slogan “Here’s Johnny” that’s associated with this psycho-thriller. Jack Nicholson stars as Jack Torrance, a writer, who takes a job as a caretaker at an abandoned hotel and brings his wife and his son. Torrance becomes increasingly insane as time passes and eventually tries to kill his wife and possessed, psychotic son. “The Shining” is one of the most psychologically thrilling and startling horror movies to date. Rated R.

1. “Silence of the Lambs”: When Clarice Starling, a young FBI trainee, gets assigned to the investigation of a serial killer known as “Buffalo Bill,” she seeks the help of an imprisoned cannibalistic serial killer, Dr. Lecter. The film keeps viewers hooked until the end and is widely recognized as one of the best horror films of all time, winning Oscars in five different categories, including Best Film, Best Actor, and Best Actress in a Leading Role. The Library of Congress added it to its film registry in 2011. The registry was created as a result of the National Film Preservation Act of 1988, and continues to recognize films considered culturally or creatively important. This movie should NOT be watched alone and is off the scary scale charts. Rated R (for REALLY scary).