Seasonal confusion, holiday style

It’s not even Halloween yet, but it’s already beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

I was looking for Halloween decorations at Target, when I stumbled upon Old Saint Nick hanging out in one of the aisles. This wasn’t a man dressed up like Santa for the upcoming October holiday. This was a small Christmas gnome placed with the rest of the Christmas decorations stretching to the end of the hall. I checked my phone calendar, just to make sure college applications haven’t messed with my head. Friday, Oct. 18 illuminated on my screen.

Why do retail stores sell Christmas decorations so early? Department stores all around the country sell ornaments, snow globes and dancing reindeer before jack-o-lanterns and costumes cross people’s minds. It is not necessary to start advertising the winter holidays before Thanksgiving. Usually, after Thanksgiving is the time when the holidays kick in and the countdown begins.

According to Kathy Grannis, senior director of media relations for National Retail Federation, retailers begin offering promotions for the holidays to capture the attention of those who like to holiday shop before Halloween.

When it comes to buying holiday gifts, it is understandable that consumers want to get an early start and get Christmas shopping out of the way before Thanksgiving. When it comes to displaying decorations in major retail stores, I think the Santa gnomes can wait. Some consumers are just using their money early to buy almost the same decorations that they probably already have stashed away in the attic.

It is just pushing the Christmas season way too early by displaying colorful lights and life-sized reindeer. We are rushed thinking about a holiday two months from now rather than enjoying those that haven’t even come yet.

Don’t get me wrong; I love the holiday season just as much as anyone else. But, we already live such a fast-paced life. There should be room to slow down and enjoy the season instead of having the holidays thrown in our face.

For now, let’s enjoy pumpkins and candy corn without jingle bells and Saint Nick. Once the Black Friday sales start, he can start checking his naughty and nice list.