FIFA 14 lives up to hype

FIFA is frustrating, exciting and addicting all at the same time, and this year, it’s better than ever. Released Sept. 27, FIFA 14 is the latest installment of the professional soccer video game often dubbed as the “ultimate bro game”.

The FIFA franchise is special in that it’s one of a few sports video games that are just as popular among extreme gamers as they are with athletes – knowledge of soccer has no bearing on success in the game.

The new game has fixed a lot of the problems people have had with FIFA Ultimate Team, a game mode where players can create a team and play against other people in the world, and introduces the Global Transfer Market, or GTM, in the Career Mode.

Many gamers complained that last year’s Ultimate Team mode gave too large an advantage to teams with a lot pace, or a high combination of speed and acceleration. In FIFA 14, the gameplay feels different – defenders are able to use their strength to fend off speedy strikers. Moreover, the new Ultimate Team introduces Chemistry Styles, which improve certain player attributes based on the chemistry they have with their team.

The GTM completely changes the Career Mode in FIFA 14. It makes acquiring new players more complex and emphasizes the necessity of scouting in the transfer process. It also allows for negotiations between teams on the price of a prospective player. Although this makes the career mode far more complex, it also makes it more realistic and addictive.

Overall, FIFA 14 is the best installment of the franchise and has no major fallbacks. It is addictive and fun, and I look forward to spending the rest of my senior year playing the game and procrastinating on my work.