Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title
Boys lacrosse season comes to a close after losing to Churchill 12–5 in regional finals
Stop indulging in fast fashion and start promoting sustainability
Softball destroys Quince Orchard 16–6 in reigonal semifinals
The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits

Ariana Grande’s debut album “Yours Truly” delivers with powerful vocals, catchy lyrics

Don’t even think about underestimating this Nickelodeon star, because she is bringing old-school back to R&B.

Ariana Grande’s debut album “Yours Truly,” released Sept. 3, has already topped the Billboard 200 list and sold over 200,000 units in its first week.

Most of us have probably heard her first hit single, “The Way” featuring Mac Miller about 100 times on the radio. The rest of the album upholds the same quality; it’s a blast from the past with several other ‘90s inspired R&B tracks.

Ariana Grande's debut album "Yours Truly" debuted Sept. 3. Photo courtesy Billboard.com.
Ariana Grande’s first album “Yours Truly” debuted Sept. 3. Photo courtesy Billboard.com.

Grande’s smooth, spine-tingling vocals are reminiscent of a young Mariah Carey. She is an absolute powerhouse, who can hit notes high enough to excite dogs.“Honeymoon Avenue” has a retro-soul flavor. The scatting harmonies and catchy lyrics make for a great song to sing to the top of your lungs to in the car.

Like most great R&B/Pop albums, most of Grande’s songs are all about love and being in a relationship. “Tattooed Heart” is one of the more nostalgic tracks and showcases her more soulful side with soft vocals and a doo-wop beat. Grande emphasizes an old-style relationship in her lyrics, “I want to say we are going steady/like its 1954/it doesn’t have to be forever/just as long as I’m the name on your tattooed heart”.

“Right There” featuring Big Sean has a head-bobbing beat and a melody that will be stuck in your head for hours on end– in a good way. Big Sean’s rap verses add a little extra to the beat, but don’t take the focus away from Grande’s amazing range.

Despite Grande’s amazing voice and catchy melodies, the album did have a few misses. Some of the lyrics lacked diversity and substantial meaning. In particular, “Almost is Never Enough”, “Better Left Unsaid” and “Daydreamin’” were disappointing songs. In addition, Grande’s collaboration with MIKA in “Popular Song” seems very random and quite mediocre compared to the rest of the album.

Considering “Yours Truly” is Grande’s first album, it exceptionally showcases her incredible talent and sophistication. Her vocals are sure to make you get goose bumps, and you’ll be humming the melodies non-stop.