LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Caps ill-equipped for playoffs

Photo+courtesy+AP.+
Photo courtesy AP.

For the third year in a row, the Washington Capitals are hitting the ice against the New York Rangers in the Stanley Cup playoffs. This matchup has been much anticipated by Caps fans who hope to come back from the tragic 2-1 loss in game seven of last year’s series.

On paper, the Capitals look successful with a record of 27-18, having won the Southeast Division carried by the Rocket Richard Trophy winner for the most goals in the league, Alex Ovechkin.

Despite these seemingly great feats, the Caps are entering the playoffs ill-equipped to win the Stanley Cup.

The Southeast is widely considered to be one of the worst divisions in the NHL, with only the Caps and the Winnipeg Jets over .500. While facing their division the Capitals are 15-3, but in games against Eastern Conference playoff teams they hold a shabby record of 7-13, causing concern for many Caps fans.

Ovechkin’s high scoring may also be hollow as the Capitals on average scored 4.1 goals against their division on three of the five lowest ranked goalies in the league. Against other Eastern Conference playoff teams, the Capitals have struggled with an average of 2.1 goals scored per game. Three of the five teams who let in the most goals on average, GAA, are in the Southeast. The Florida Panthers, Carolina Hurricanes, and Tampa Bay Lightning each let in over 150 goals this season.

It will be interesting to see if the Capitals post-season struggle continues or if they can take advantage of the shortened season and win their first ever Stanley Cup.