Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Vikes lose to Northwest but beat RM, move record to 7-4

Captain Max Sessions takes down his opponent. Photo by Bonnie Sharbaugh

The wrestling team took a beating Jan. 23 when they lost 56-12 to the 11-0 Northwest Jaguars. Only three Viking wrestlers recorded wins and the team moved to an overall record of 6-4.

The team followed up the loss with a 44-32 win over the 4-7 Richard Montgomery Rockets at home Jan. 26, and progressed to 7-4 with three meets left in the season.
The RM match got off to a rough start for the Vikes when the Rockets jumped out to a 9-0 lead on wins in the 145 and 152 lb weight classes. 160 lb Jack Calder answered with a pin on his opponent, and 170 lb Andrew Cullinane took a Richard Montgomery forfeit to give the Vikes a three point edge.

The two teams traded six point victories over the next four bouts, with one forfeit apiece. With five contests remaining, the Rockets took a 26-24 lead as 106 lb Jayant Gude lost on a technical fault.

As time expired in his bout, 113 lb Stephen Sharbaugh fought for victory, pinning his opponent with just one second remaining on the clock. The Vikes led for the remainder of the matchup, helped by victories from 120 lb Will Baker and 126 lb Jacob Cutler on major decisions, and a pin from 132 lb Mitch Fenton. The Rockets won the last bout, but it was too little too late as the Vikes secured a 44-32 victory.

Whitman will look to get a winning streak going as the end of the season approaches in the next match at the 9-3 Paint Branch Panthers Jan. 29.