Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Boys basketball overcomes deficit to beat B-CC, 55-48

The boys basketball team improved its record to 5-5 with a win over its rival B-CC Jan. 4, defeating the 0-6 Barons 55-48.

Forward Daniel Lowet looks for a pass. Photo by Billy Bird.

The team struggled to make shots in the beginning of the game, and B-CC jumped up to an early 12-8 lead. It was much of the same in the second quarter until guard Robby Lund hit two huge three-pointers to give the team momentum.

Late in the second quarter, Lund went down with an injury that forced him to leave the game in a wheelchair. The team rallied around their injured teammate, and vowed to win the game.

“Shout out to my boy Robby Lund,” captain Andrew Castagnetti said after the game. “We love you and this win was for you.”

After trailing 30-20 at halftime, the Vikes picked up the intensity in the second half, cutting B-CC’s lead to fine points after the third quarter, making it 40-35. Castagnetti started off the half nailing a three and building the team’s momentum going forward. After guard Samir Kaveeshwar drained two three-pointers, the Vikings were only down by 5.

It was much of the same in the fourth quarter, as Castagnetti and Kaveeshwar led the Vikings to victory for the second straight game. Guard Max Steinhorn and forward Daniel Lowet scored clutch baskets late in the game to help the Vikes pull out the win in a hostile environment.

“We started extremely slow,” Kaveeshwar said. “When Robby had those two big three’s, it helped us gather some energy that really propelled us to the win.”

The team looks to win its fifth straight game when it takes on the 0-9 Wootton Patriots Jan. 8 at home.