Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Girls basketball defeats Churchill in eighth straight win

The girls basketball team secured a hard-fought 50-45 win against cross county rival the 7-2 Churchill Bulldogs, securing an 8-1 record.

After a successful holiday tournament at the Milford Mill Academy in Baltimore, the Vikes walked away with two wins. They defeated the 5-2 Mount Hebron Vikings 50-27 and the 3-5 Severna Park Falcons 38-35. Unfortunately, forward Marie Hatch injured her shoulder during the tournament and will be out for the next five to six weeks.

With the support of the Pyle girls and the Bannockburn fifth grade girls basketball teams, the Vikes began the game against the Bulldogs with speed and tight defense.

They did not secure the tip, but were quick to fall back into a tight zone defense that kept the Bulldogs at bay. Within the first minute of the game, forward Linn Bumpers forced her way under the basket to score the opening points.

Forward Avery Witt played aggressively, taking good shots and getting put on the foul line. Near the end of the second half, Witt pulled a hard defensive rebound, passed it out, and streaked to the basket getting an open pass outside the arc, and sinking the three-pointer.

The Vikes lead 20-19 in the beginning of the second half, and they began to stretch their lead.

“Our aggression in the second half was better,” guard Justine Wood said. “We were moving the ball around and being patient with it to wait for the right shot.”

Guard Brittany Fleck moved with finesse around the players, getting several jump shots to help the Vikes push ahead of the Bulldogs.

By the fourth quarter, the Vikes led by ten and maintained their lead by shutting the Bulldogs down on defense, and taking risks with offensive plays.

Twice at inbound passes near the Vikes’ basket, guard Kim Durante sprinted down the court to receive a long pass for an easy layup.

“We were a little unsteady in the beginning— we weren’t really boxing out—and then we came out really strong in the second half and we made our shots,” Wood said. “This was the best win we’ve had so far this season.”

Next the girls travel Jan. 3 to take on their 4-4 rivals the B-CC Barons.