LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

SGA to cut club funding, invest more in spring fair

SGA funding for clubs will decrease by $3,000 from last year’s amount,but  the SGA plans to use the savings bring the annual spring fair back.

Last year, the SGA didn’t have enough money to pay for a spring fair so it amended its constitution to require the General Assembly, a group of elected first period delegates, to set a limit on club fund requests.
The SGA executive board drafted the budget before presenting it to the assembly for approval, where it was approved by an overwhelming majority Nov. 28.

The budget designates $13,000 for SGA expenses and $6,000 for clubs. The money designated for SGA expenses will pay for a variety of school events, including Leukemia and Lymphoma month, spring fair and Mr. Whitman.

Limitations on club funding will ensure that the SGA is able to pay for the spring fair when funds are needed, president Jacob Rosenblum said. If the SGA doesn’t pay in full for the spring fair immediately, interest rates push up the fair’s overall costs. If costs are paid up front, the SGA predicts it will receive as much money as it spends.

Because many students enjoy the spring fair, the SGA made sure to save money for the event when planning the budget, treasurer Emily Harburg said.

“Last year when we had a higher budget for clubs we ended up not being able to have a spring fair and we got a negative response,” she said. “It’s one of the only events that includes the middle schools, elementary schools and the whole community, so we definitely wanted to do whatever we could to get that back on the agenda.”

The budget for clubs is also smaller this year because Homecoming profits fell short of projections, Rosenblum said.

“Homecoming is the way we raise money for clubs and when people think they’re too cool to go to Homecoming, they’re robbing the clubs of funds,” he said.

Rosenblum still believes that the clubs will be able to work, even without as much funding from the SGA. For instance, local companies donate funds to the robotics club, said Danny McClanahan, its student coordinator.

“Clubs will have to be a little bit more frugal and maybe do their own fundraisers instead of relying on SGA funds, but I think overall clubs are going to run the same,” Rosenblum said. “Necessity is the mother of invention, so they’re going to be able to find new ways to raise money.”