Girls lacrosse stuns Springbrook 18–2
Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

Boys tennis defeats Walter Johnson 5–2

‘Life of Pi’ makes waves in theaters

An injured zebra, a hyena, an orangutan and a Bengal tiger are stranded on a lifeboat with a young Indian man. Things could get complicated.

'Life of Pi' is about a young man who sails the sea with wild animals, including a tiger, in his boat. Photo courtesy imdb.com.

“Life of Pi,” released Nov. 21 by Fox 2000 and starring Irrfan Khan and Suraj Sharma, was a work of art. The acting, cinematography, 3D effects and directing brilliantly bring Yann Martel’s novel to life on the big screen.

The film begins with a Canadian novelist, who is suffering from writer’s block, interviewing Pi Patel (Khan) in hope of finding inspiration. To his surprise, Pi shares the epic story of his 200 days lost in the Pacific Ocean, stranded on a small lifeboat with a tiger named Richard Parker and three other animals.

Director Ang Lee takes the audience on an emotional trip across the ocean with Pi as he matures, copes with losing his family and overcomes the grueling challenge of surviving at sea amidst a collection of wild animals aboard his boat.

Sharma, appearing in his first film, excellently portrays a young Pi, who is struggling to survive in these difficult circumstances. Pi attempts to care for himself, protecting himself from the tiger while also trying to look after him. Sharma portrays these conflicted emotions well, and the unlikely companionship Pi forms with the tiger is heartwarmingly satisfying.

When Pi needs supplies from the life boat, he must face the tiger and the prospect of dying. Lee shoots suspenseful vague angles from Pi’s point of view as Pi creeps from his raft onto the boat, unsure of what awaits him on the deck. Sharma adds to Lee’s work by portraying Pi’s bravery and fear with professionalism.

Lee constructs mesmerizing visuals of the sky, ocean and the Indian landscape, beautifully capturing various scenes Pi encounters. The ocean reflects the starry sky at night and perfectly mirrors the orange sun and soft clouds during the day. Among the most memorable scenes is the beautiful panorama with the green and snow-topped mountains of the Indian tea fields in which Pi and his brother play. The 3D aspect makes the beauty of the scenes even more enjoyable.

The masterful directing complements the brilliant simplicity of the plot. Even when the scenes in the movie are slow, Lee constantly reminds the audience of Pi’s life or death situation through unique visuals, camera angles and strong acting.

“Life of Pi” had incredible cinematography and a highly dramatic plot that made for a smooth-sailing 127 minutes–it’s an absolute must-see.