Whitman ranked second-best high school in Maryland, 139th nationally
Baseball falls to Magruder 10–9
LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Wrestling team loses to Wootton in tri-meet, defeats Wheaton

The wrestling team followed up a strong start with a tough 51-21 loss to the 2-0 Wootton Patriots and a decisive 60-24 victory over the 0-2 Wheaton Knights in a tri-meet at home Dec. 7, moving to 2-1 for the season.

In the first meet the Vikings took on Patriots, as 195 lb Jonah Brain got pinned in the first period, giving Wootton a 6-0 lead. Then, 220 lb captain Max Sessions took his opponent to three periods and won 3 team points in a 6-0 decision, making the score 6-3 Wootton.

Each matchup was competitive, with many going into two or three periods, but more often than not the Vikes couldn’t finish for the win.

Heavyweight captain Jacob Shiman was pinned with just three seconds left in the second period before 106 lb Harriet Symington secured a pin halfway through the third period.

With the score tight at 12-9 Patriots, 113 lb Stephen Sharbaugh held out for three periods but ultimately lost on a 7-0 decision, with three more points going to Wootton. His loss was followed by another from 120 lb Will Baker, and the Patriots jumped out with a 21-9 lead.

126 lb captain Jacob Cutler gave the Vikes some hope, pinning his challenger with three seconds left on the clock in the second period, cutting the deficit to six at 21-15.

Cutler’s victory was followed by a slew of Patriot victories, as 132 lb freshman Mitch Fenton, 138 lb Caleb Kushner (in his first varsity bout), 145 lb Evan Smith and 152 lb Kevin Baker were all defeated, giving Wootton a 25 point cushion.

160 lb captain Jack Calder had the last of the Viking victories in the matchup, securing a pin in an impressive fashion. Calder and his opponent circled each other and locked up a couple times, before Calder exploded for a sudden takedown one minute into the contest. He pushed his opponent around the mat for 15 seconds before getting the pin and the six points.

170 lb Nick Holden got pinned following Calder’s win, and then 182 lb first-time varsity wrestler Matt McClanahan showed a lot of resilience before losing on a technical fault, with the final team score showing 51-21. McClanahan fought off a pin for the last 15 seconds of the second period, keeping his shoulders off the mat despite heavy pressure from his Patriot opponent.

After a break for the Vikes in which the Patriots served up an 81-0 victory over short-handed Wheaton, the team came out again for its matchup against the Knights.

With seven forfeits from the Knights, Whitman had a 42 point advantage. The Knights won four of the seven bouts that were not won by default, ending the contest 60-24.

In the first bout, 120 lb Will Baker was pinned late in his first period, and was visibly frustrated with his performance. 152 lb Kevin Baker and Calder each followed with wins on pins in their first periods, after which Holden, Brain and Shiman were each pinned, and 182 lb Matt McClanahan got his first varsity victory on a pin in his second period.

Despite the victory in the Wheaton matchup, Sessions expected better production from the team.

“We should’ve won both, this didn’t go our way” he said. “We’re a young team and tried really hard. We’re hoping to continue the season with nothing but wins.”

The Vikes will look to put another tally in the win column when they travel to Rockville Dec. 12 to take on the 1-0 Rams.