Viking Vogue: Jeans that do you justice

A wall covered in five styles of jeans, six shades, and seven styles of blue jeans looms dauntingly in front of you.  Let the battle begin.

The next few hours are filled with complaints about length, cut, rips, stretch and awkward loose spaces— if you’re lucky, you’ll leave with one or two pairs of jeans. Every girl goes through this struggle when fall and winter come around, but here are a few tips to help find jeans that do you justice.

Starting off, let’s establish a few promising places you can go to find jeans. Nordstrom is known for quality clothing, and their many choices provide a good starting point for your jean hunt. If you’re going for comfort, look for the brands Jolt and Vigoss Studios. These carry jegging-type jeans and are generally made of softer denim. But if you want a more durable jean, Levi’s are the way to go.

Nordstrom can be a little on the pricey side, though. A quality but inexpensive jean location is Target. Although it’s all the way in Rockville, the trip is well worth it. The brand Mossimo Supply Co. has great knock-offs that are almost identical to what you’d find in a Nordstrom or Lord & Taylor. They’re also well-made, so they’ll last longer than just a year.

If you’re looking to keep up with a fad like bleached or floral jeans, Forever 21 is a great place to go. Fads, as we all know, only last a season. It’s a waste of money to buy the highest quality fad jeans if you’re only going to wear them for a year. Forever 21 has an abundant selection of styles, colors and fits— but they also don’t last very long. They are much cheaper than the usual jean; the average pair of Forever 21 jeans cost $27 while the average Nordstrom jeans are $54.

Next let’s address the issue of style. Every girl should have a pair of boot-legged jeans, straight-legged jeans, skinny jeans and a go-to pair of jeggings to cover all the winter denim demands. But depending on your body type, the cut and wash of the jean can make or break the look. Generally speaking, darker wash jeans provide a slimming look. It’s hard to say that anybody can pull off baby-blue jeans with highlights on the thighs.

Additionally, low-rise jeans often cause more problems than they’re worth. It’s much better to opt for a high-waisted jean, as it hides whatever tummy you have and gives you the option of tucking a blouse in to dress it up a little. As far as color goes, don’t be afraid of colored pants. Deep and neutral colors like plum or forest green can certainly be cute for fall. Even a teal-ish blue could be cute to add a pop of color in an otherwise bland outfit. If you’re not sure which color to buy, do a quick mental survey of your wardrobe and choose whichever color you have the least of. This helps prevent blue-on-blue-on-blue outfits. And keep in mind, non-denim pants work too.

And last, it’s time to discuss the size factor. I think it’s kind of ridiculous to definitely say “I’m a 2” or “I’m a 6” because every brand of jeans is made differently. You should have a general idea of your size, but don’t be afraid to deviate up or down a little if a particular pair of jeans isn’t your go-to size. It’s also important to consider the possibility of your jeans shrinking in the wash— especially when shopping at lower-end stores. If you’re standing in the dressing room freaking about the way one crease folds on your leg, take a breath and realize it might disappear once it’s gone through the wash.

Another thing that might deter you from buying an otherwise adorable pair of jeans is the way they shimmy down when you’re sitting. But, here’s where you can call up your good friend the belt. Belts usually do the trick for jeans that fit everywhere but the hips, and they can actually add to the style of your outfit. A belt with a simple design, or one that’s braided leather, can break up your outfit in an especially figure-flattering way. So don’t back away from the belt.

These tips may not work for every girl, but hopefully they’ve helped you become an educated jean shopper who will conquer the jean hunt this year in record time.