LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Boys soccer falls to Kennedy, lowers record to 5-1

The boys soccer team suffered its first loss Sept. 29, falling to the 3-2-1 Kennedy Cavaliers 4-1 and moving to a 5-1 record.

The boys soccer team huddles during its game against the Kennedy Cavaliers. Photo courtesy Makoto Nakagawa.

The Cavaliers scored twice in the first half Thursday before the game was postponed due to thunderstorms, with the score 2-0 Kennedy about 30 minutes into the game. The game resumed Saturday morning, and Kennedy added a third goal to make the score 3-0 at halftime.

“We weren’t playing our game,” captain Mark Cameron said. “We didn’t have high pressure on the ball, which is necessary, and we were unorganized in the back.”

Kennedy added to the deficit by scoring a fourth goal early in the second half, putting the game out of reach for the Vikings.

Midfielder Davey Mason scored with 30 minutes left in the second half, swinging the momentum in the Vikes’ favor, but the team couldn’t capitalize on any more chances, and the game ended in a 4-1 defeat.

“They had definitely the fastest, most skilled forwards we’ve played this year,” Cameron said. “We were just outplayed.”

The Whitman team will look to return to its winning ways as it takes on the 3-2-1 Churchill Bulldogs Oct. 3 in a double header with girls soccer for community night.