LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Cross-country boys defeat Quince Orchard

The boys cross-country team won its first dual meet 27-28 and the girls team lost 31-25 to the Quince Orchard Cougars Sept. 11.

After competing in division two last season, the team proved itself worthy of its new division one slot.

In the boys race, sophomore Evan Woods came in first place with a time of 17:46, while sophomore Alex Roederer and senior Eyal Hanfling finished fifth and sixth respectively.

Senior Caroline Elmendorf finished in second for the girls while junior Harriet Symington took fifth. Senior Laura Elmendorf, sophomores Elyssa Feuer and Nicole Ihrie and junior Elizabeth Zeichner swept seventh through tenth place.

“We had some good races and some that could have gone a little bit better,” coach Stephen Hays said. “Overall I am pleased with the team’s progress so far.”

Coming off two succesful season, the team hopes to replicate their post-season performances. Last year, the girls team finished as the state runner-up and Caroline Guiot (’12) won the individual state champion title, while the boys finished fourteenth in the state championship.

“I think the boys are better,” Hays said. “We can definitely improve on the fourteenth place finish.”

The team will travel to Delaware Sept. 14 to compete in the White Clay Creek Classic invitational.