LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs

Girls soccer dominates Rockville, 9-0

Midfielder Dani Okon battles for the ball as the Vikes win against the Rockville Rams 9-0. Photo by Thomas Nalls.

The girls soccer team is determined to go the distance this year after last year’s standout 9-1-1 season that ended in a disappointing first-round playoff loss. The Vikes got off to a great start against the 0-1 Rockville Rams Sept. 1 with a 9-0 victory, beginning their record at 1-0.

The Vikes held possession for most of the game, and with sharp passes and coordination, were able to consistently split the defense and score. Forward Andrea McDonald led the team with two goals and defender Rebecca Mashek recorded two assists. Led by captains McDonald, midfielder Aliza Wolfe and defenders Emily Martin and Lottie Nalls, the team flowed together as a seamless unit throughout the game.

Last year’s keeper Claire Bartholomew set the school record for most consecutive shutouts at 10 during the 2011 season. The new goalie, Anna Zeisel, hopes to keep up the power on defense and do justice to Bartholomew’s legacy after shutting out the Rams.

“I think it’s definitely a team effort, defense is just as strong as last year,” she said. “I hope I can live up to it.”

In addition to a mostly veterans team, coach Greg Herbert added four freshmen to this year’s team: defenders Kristen Bissell, Christina Valianatos and Lindsay Wytkind, and midfielder Kate Morrison.

“Each of the new players brings a different strength to the team,” Herbert said, “I think they fit in very well.”

With a wide range of ages on the team, older players offer guidance to the younger girls.  The seven returning seniors look out for the freshmen during school, Nalls said.  Acting as mentors, they pass on their experience and help the girls adjust to the new environment. The close personal relationships give the Vikes an advantage, McDonald said.

“The fact that we know each other and trust each other is a huge strength on the field,” she said.

These strengths will come in handy as the Vikes prepare to face tough rivals such as the B-CC, Churchill and Walter Johnson this season. The girls will be looking out for the Bulldogs especially, after they knocked the Vikes out of playoffs in overtime last season. WJ, a strong competitor last year, is a mystery this season, having lost many of its starters.

Next, the Vikes will travel to take on the 0-1 Clarksburg Coyotes Sept. 4.