Going Out Guide: local summer activities for everyone

From wacky museum exhibits to relaxing waterfront picnic spots, there’s something to do for everyone this summer. The D.C. area offers plenty of activities all season long.

Summer Picnic Spots

• By the canal: Grab a blanket, some of your favorite snacks and venture down to the C&O canal. Take a trail down to the water and pick your own spot.
  • On the National Mall: Experience all the excitement of downtown D.C. while munching on lunch. You can even avoid the hassle of parking by taking the Metro downtown.
  • Georgetown Waterfront Park: Venture to Georgetown and pick a beautiful spot by the scenic Potomac River for lunch. If you’re not in the mood to make your own lunch, choose from any of Georgetown’s gourmet restaurants.

The beautiful McCrillis Gardens have benches and a pavilion perfect for picnicking. Photo courtesy montgomeryparks.org.
  • McCrillis Gardens: Enjoy lunch on a sunny day in the middle of these gorgeous gardens. A pavilion and benches offer resting spots throughout the garden. Admission is free. Call 301-962-1455 for more information.
  • Lake Needwood: Just 10 minutes from downtown Rockville, this park has 18 picnic shelters. After lunch, you can walk on the nature trails or rent kayaks, rowboats, canoes or pedal boats. You also have the option of taking a 30-minute group tour of the lake aboard the Needwood Queen. On June 16 all boats are half-off all day! You must be at least 16 to rent a boat. For more information call 301-948-5053.

Summer Museum Exhibits:

• Art of Video Games at the Smithsonian Art Museum: Travel through the eras of video games. The exhibit examines influences on video games over the last 40 years. The exhibition also includes opportunities to play classics like Pac-Man, Super Mario Brothers and The Secret of Monkey Island.
  • Samurai: the Warrior Transformed at the National Geographic Museum: This showcase sheds new light on the term “samurai,” with photograph and artifact exhibits. Learn the evolution of Japanese warriors over time.
  • 100 Year Titanic Celebration at the National Geographic Museum: This exhibit offers history and the latest research about the 1912 crash. The museum offers a model of the ship, interactive games, historical photos and props from the 1997 film.

Festivals in D.C.:

• D.C. Jazz Festival: This festival is available at venues citywide for the first 10 days of June. Numerous artists will perform at venues like the D.C. Jazz Loft and the Howard Theatre. For specific locations and artists, check www.dcjazzfest.org.

Various jazz artists will perform at the sculpture garden every Friday. Photo courtesy dc.about.com.
  • Jazz in the Garden at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden: Enjoy various jazz artists performing Fridays from 5:00-8:30 in the middle of beautiful sculpture gardens. Food and beverages are available at the Pavilion Café. For a detailed list of performers, check www.nga.gov/programs/jazz.
  • Screen on the Green on the National Mall: This HBO-sponsored film festival will begin July 25. Movies like “In the Heat of Night” and “One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest” will begin at sunset. Bring blankets, bug spray and snacks for a fun-filled evening. Admission is free, for times and dates check out www.hbo.com/screenonthegreen

Fruit Picking:

Pick fresh summer fruit all summer long! Admission is free, so bring a friend. However you must pay for the fruit you take home.

• Homestead Farms in Poolesville, MD is open seven days a week. The spacious farm is offering strawberries, tart cherries, blackberries and peaches this summer. Fruit options vary by month. Check to make sure that the fruit you want is available by calling 301-977-3761 for more information.
  • This season Butler’s Orchard in Germantown, MD is offering strawberries, sweet peas, blueberries, tart cherries, blackberries and red raspberries. Call 301-972-3299 for more information and fruit options.