Triangle Blog: And Peyton Manning chooses…Denver?

After weeks of traveling and meetings with multiple teams, Peyton Manning, the longtime Colts quarterback, has picked to play with the Denver Broncos.

Peyton Manning throws the ball down the field during a game for the Indianapolis Colts. Manning has now signed on with the Denver Broncos. Photo from fantasyknuckleheads.com.

Manning, who suffers from chronic neck problems, was released by the Colts this offseason in anticipation of Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

The Colts wanted to rebuild their team, and in addition to Manning, the team also dropped running back Joseph Addai and tight end Dallas Clark.

Many, including myself, were surprised by Manning’s decision.  Although I knew the Broncos were a consideration, I thought he would pick San Francisco because they have a talented group of wide receivers and Manning would be most likely to win his second championship there.

The biggest factor in Manning’s decision was probably the Broncos’ Hall of Fame executive John Elway.  As a former quarterback, Elway most likely greatly influenced Manning and the two had an entire day to talk when Manning visited Denver about a week ago.

With Manning going to Denver, a big question emerges as to what will happen to last year’s savior for the Broncos, Tim Tebow.  The Broncos have expressed interest in trading him once Manning’s deal is signed, but where Tebow will end up is still uncertain. My guess is he either finds his way to Cleveland or Miami.

The 2012-2013 NFL season is shaping up to be interesting, and, like last year, the Championship could go to anyone…except the Redskins, of course.