LIVE: Boys volleyball takes on Poolesville in second round of playoffs
Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Students, community raise over $51,000 for leukemia

Whitman raised $51,050.00 for this year’s Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s High School Challenge, more than doubling last year’s total and coming in second behind Walter Johnson’s $58,263.52.

The new 12-hour dance marathon bRAVE helped raise this year’s total, along with other classic events, such as Guy Auction and Whitman Idol.

“I was astounded at how well we did this year and how much support we got from the community,” SGA sponsor Sheryl Freedman said. “I could not have been happier.”

Whitman joined the High School Challenge four years ago after being challenged by WJ to participate. WJ has won the past four years in a row.

“When I found out that WJ raised $58,000, I was like, “That’s great,” Freedman said. “There wasn’t an angry or bitter bone in my body.”

The leadership class and SGA are proud of the community’s contributions to the competition, Freedman added. The challenge motivated students, said senior Ari Kapner, who is SGA president.

“What really made an impact this year was the idea of competition,” Kapner said.  “Everyone constantly wanted to know how much we had compared to WJ, and it was good to see students rallying together.”

Still, there’s room for improvement next year, Kapner said.

“Certain events only appeal to certain people, and it’s all about getting people involved,” he said. “Our PR wasn’t great this year, and we raised $51,000. Imagine if it was a lot better.”