County should preserve Potomac farm, other ‘green’ spaces

When work and school become too much to handle and the struggles of a daily routine seem too intense, many turn to one place for relaxation and rejuvenation: the outdoors.

Although Montgomery County is known for its commitment to preserving green spaces, the county is now planning to work with the MSI soccer league to replace Nick’s Organic Farm — a 20-acre organic farm in Potomac — with new soccer fields.

The county should work to preserve the farm and the local agricultural industry.

Local farmer Nick Maravell walks along his farm, Nick's Organic Farm. A secret agreement between the County Council and MSI soccer to turn his farmland into soccer fields will force Maravell to leave his farm by Jan. 1. Photo courtesy www.gazette.net.

Local farmer Nick Maravell founded the organic farm in 1980 and has leased the property from the Board of Education for more than 30 years. Without Maravell’s knowledge, the Board leased the land to the county, which then brokered a deal with MSI to replace the farm with soccer fields. The decision mandates that Maravell leave the property by Jan. 1.

Replacing the farm with soccer fields threatens the contributions of the organic agricultural industry. Nick’s Organic Farm and similar farms constitute a significant segment of the county’s economic productivity, as agricultural activities occupy about one third of the county’s land area. The county’s 577 farms produce more than $251 million and employ more than 10,000 residents. Destroying the farm will jeopardize a substantial portion of the county’s economy.

The farm not only produces fresh foods that consumers rely on but also provides many farmers with organic seed and animal feed that are normally hard to find. Replacing Nick’s Organic Farm with soccer fields will disrupt many farmers’ convenience in obtaining organic materials.

At an April 4 community meeting about the soccer fields’ construction, more than 90 percent of the 250 attendees expressed their support for keeping the organic farm. Disregarding the majority opinion, the county informed the audience that they would sign the agreement with MSI the next day. Additionally, an online petition to save the farm has collected nearly 4,000 signatures. The county continues to ignore the will of the people and refuses to factor citizens’ complaints into this decision.

The county has one of the most successful farm protection efforts in the nation, largely due to the independence advocacy groups and environmental preserves from the government. However, the county and independent organizations must work together to uphold the county’s tradition of agricultural preservation. Without a conscious effort to protect farms, they will eventually fall victim to urban development. Maintaining natural open spaces is vital in order to protect the appeal of our beautiful county.