Boys volleyball takes down Seneca Valley 3–1

Dylan’s concert memorable for all ages

“The poet laureate of rock ‘n’ roll.  The voice of the promise of the ’60s counterculture.  The guy who forced folk into bed with rock, who donned makeup in the ’70s and disappeared into a haze of substance abuse, who emerged to find Jesus, who was written off as a has-been by the end of the ’80s, and who suddenly shifted gears and released some of the strongest music of his career beginning in the late ’90s.  Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Columbia recording artist Bob Dylan.”

Bob Dylan played to a packed audience at the Patriot Center Nov. 11.  Photo courtesy of Rolling Stone Magazine.
Bob Dylan played to a packed audience at the Patriot Center Nov. 11. Photo courtesy of Rolling Stone Magazine.

The iconic, Grammy-winning, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Bob Dylan’s powerful concert began Wednesday, Nov. 11th at the Patriot Center with this fitting introduction which has opened every one of his performances since 2002.

Despite critics slamming the 68-year-old with criticism over the past decade, mostly targeting his raspy, growling, nearly incomprehensible voice, Dylan gave a performance that, to sincere fans, was one to remember.

During the nearly 2-hour concert, Dylan played songs from all corners of his nearly 50 year career, including some from 2001’s “Time Out of Mind” and 2006’s “Modern Times,” as well as songs from his earlier albums in the ‘60s.  

As per tradition, Dylan closed the concert with two of his most well-known classics, “Like a Rolling Stone” and “All Along the Watchtower,” but because of Dylan’s constant remakes and rearrangements of his own songs, both easily could have been unrecognizable to some audience members.

Unfortunately, Dylan didn’t play any songs from his very unique Christmas album, “Christmas in the Heart.”

Dylan was dressed in his characteristic cowboy-cut coat, white brimmed hat and black tapered trousers which are now manufactured by Calvin Klein as “The Dylan,” while his band wore matching beige suits – a sure indicator that Mr. Dylan’s class and style have yet to fade. 

Unlike many of his performances in the last few years, Dylan stepped out from behind the keyboard tucked away on the side of the stage for a majority of the songs, playing guitar, or even more surprisingly, singing without an instrument at all.  Gripping the microphone in one hand and his signature harmonica in the other, Dylan proved that he’s not afraid to mix things up.

Dylan, maintaining the mystique that has epitomized his whole career, didn’t say a word to the audience for the hour-and-a-half long show, except “Hello, Friends!” followed by a brief introduction of his band.

The  full band set-up proved a stark contrast to the acoustic performances that brought Dylan fame in the ‘60s; accordingly, many audience members questioned how today’s Dylan shows any resemblance to the lanky, wild-haired poet of ‘60s counterculture.  But the brilliant songwriting that won him a Pulitzer on grounds of “lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power” shone through stronger than ever. 

Worth noting was the age range of the audience, which included kids as young as 13 as well as men who could easily be their grandparents.  In the parking lot, two men even discussed listening to Dylan in the ‘70s, while back by the stage, head-banging college students stood next to ex-hippies sharing confused looks.

Dylan, who’s been on an almost continuous “Never Ending Tour” since 1988, has become a regular to the DC area, and is absolutely worth checking out for fans, both young and old, who can appreciate a lyrical genius with a voice that will leave your ears ringing.