“An Education,” a compelling story

Photo courtesy of imdb.com.
Photo courtesy of imdb.com.

Director Lone Scherfig and writer Nick Hornby return with the superb coming-of-age tale “An Education,” based on the memoir by British journalist Lynn Barber.

The film follows 16-year-old straight-A student and Oxford-aspiring Jenny (Carey Mulligan), who faces a change of plans after she is swept off her feet by the rich, glamorous 30-something David (Peter Sarsgaard).

She is slowly seduced by his luxurious lifestyle and equally attractive friends (the friendly Dominic Cooper and Rosamund Pike).

Although set in 1961, the film makes it appear as though it wasn’t uncommon for a teenage girl to marry a much older man, and follows a seemingly predictable path.  But as we get to know the characters better and delve deeper into their thoughts and emotions, we come to understand it’s a tale about moral choices.

The cast is all exceptional in portraying the raw emotions, especially the beautiful Mulligan, who deserves an Oscar for her heartbreaking portrayal of the cute, naïve schoolgirl who blossoms into an intelligent young woman.  Alfred Mollina also gives an astounding performance as Jenny’s strict, conservative, yet compassionate father.

Olivia Williams and Oscar winner Emma Thompson also do justice portraying their small roles as the wise, caring teacher and the prim, complacent principal, respectively.

Overall, the film’s portrayal of first love is beautiful, moving and very realistic, save for the near perfect ending.  It is definitely a must-watch for those who want to recall their innocence and don’t mind shedding a tear or two.