Green Bay fans should stop hatin’

Photo courtesy of judasfavre.com.
Photo courtesy of judasfavre.com.

Few players in the NFL attracts more attention than Brett Favre. With his indecisiveness in retirement, he has attracted large amounts of negative attention from fans throughout the league, mostly from his former team, the Green Bay Packers. Although Favre was admittedly capricious in his decision to retire, un-retiring to join the Jets, then retiring and coming back again to sign with the Vikings, Packers fans have little reason to disrespect him.

Favre spent 15 seasons with the Packers, leading them to a Super Bowl victory in 1997, starting every game regardless of injuries and even playing the day after his father died. For 15 seasons, Lambeau Field was Farve’s home, he was a dedicated Packer and fans should appreciate the extraordinary effort he gave to the team, the city of Green Bay and his millions of fans.

Packers fans should not be bitter about his decision to leave and join the Vikings. After all, the Packers would not give him a contract that a player of his caliber deserved because they had already moved on to QB Aaron Rodgers. Favre joined the Jets in 2008 and the Vikings in 2009 not to spite Green Bay, but because they offered him a reasonable contract and seemed to be a good fit. Packers fans should hate the Vikings because they are division rivals, but they should not hate Brett Favre because he has moved on and continued to be successful, even without the Packers.

After the Viking’s victory in Green Bay last Sunday, fans held up signs saying “We’ll never forget you, Brent,” “Benedict Favre” and other negative slogans. Despite this, Farve displayed sportsmanship throughout the game, shaking former coach Mike McCarthy’s hand and catching up with former teammates. He waved to the many supporters he still has in Green Bay as he walked out of the stadium. Like a true athlete in the face of adversity, he ignored the negative fans and showed respect to the people who had supported him for 15 seasons. Rather than acting bitter and immature, Packers fans should return this support.

Finally, football is a profession: athletes will sign with the team that gives the best offer, and the Vikings were the only team that offered Farve a contract this year. This was a question of working and doing the job that he loves (even if it was with a division rival) or just watching his peers continue to enjoy the sport that defines him.