An unusual Strokes album, but not a bad one

It’s been five years since the Strokes released their most poorly received album, “First Impressions Of Earth,” but the New York band is back with their long-awaited album “Angles.”

The Strokes came back with a uiqiue album with lyrics from all of the band members. Photo courtesy covershut.com.

The album is a diversion from previous Strokes albums because all the members contributed to songwriting, as opposed to previous albums, which credited only lead singer Julian Casablancas as songwriter.

One of the album’s singles, “Under Cover Of Darkness,” features a catchy guitar riff, and its sing-along chorus makes an already good song truly great.  Other tracks like “Two Kinds Of Happiness” and “Taken For A Fool” showcase the band’s knack for writing catchy pop songs.

Additionally, the album is full of gems like the soft guitar and vocal ballad “Call Me Back” and the old-school ’80s rock of “Gratisfaction.”

The album closes the gap between Julian Casablancas’ experimental, synth-pop solo album “Phrazes For The Young” and the Strokes’ trademark blend of garage rock and great pop songwriting, creating the best of both worlds.