Viking Vogue, Week 2: Preparing your skin for spring

It’s that lovely time of year again, when jeans turn into shorts and layers aren’t there to hide dry, pale winter skin. Luckily, the multi-million dollar beauty industry has several options for those of us coming out of hibernation. Here are my favorite products to get a radiant glow.

Body wash: In the words of Derek Zoolander, “moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty.”In all sincerity, though, healthy skin begins in the shower. It’s important to use a bath product that’s rich and nourishes as it cleanses.  My favorite is Dove’s Deep Moisture Beauty Body Wash. It’s inexpensive and available at any drugstore.

Moisturizer: Afterwards, don’t forget to moisturize with lotion. Incorporating lotion into your precious, timed morning routine can dramatically erase embarrassing cracks, itches and dry patches. I’ve found thicker lotions yield a better result, and use a lotion with SPF for daily sun protection.

While scented moisturizers that smell like vanilla, strawberry kiwi, lavender or any of the household cooking products from Bath & Body Works are nice for dates or special occasions, the best products tend to be fragrance-free. These primarily focus on perfecting the skins’ natural texture and radiance. Try Aveeno’s Daily Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 15 and Cetaphil’s Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15, which are meant for all skin types.

Self-tanner: Here comes the fun part. Everyone has their own preference when it comes to shading. If you’d prefer not to go in for a spray tan, Banana Boat’s Everyday Glow Sundial Self Tanner is a great alternative. This powerful tanner uses moisturizer and an adjustable bronzer so you can decide which shade you want. This tanner, when used appropriately, leaves a dark, yet natural tone without looking orange. But make sure to rub it in evenly, or it can look streaky.

Or, try my favorite: Perfekt Body Perfection Gel. Though pricier, it’s smooth, weightless and looks incredibly natural.  The silky cream moisturizes as it tones, and gives skin a hint of sparkle for a fun, flirty sun-kissed glow.

Bronzer: When it comes to bronzer, it’s important to look natural. Many can appear orange or sparkly, standing out rather than blending in. The purpose of this make-up is to look tanner, not like a pixie/Oompa Loompa mix. So look for a brown only a couple shades darker than your natural skin tone, or one with an included blush for a tan, flushed look. Try Benefit’s Boxed Powder in Hoola or Nars’ Highlighting/Bronzing Blush Duo.