Pair of varsity sports teams win huge games

Runningback Kevin Cecala scored a touchdown in the second quarter to tie the game at 14. Photo courtest of Debbie Stevens.

Nov 6– Varsity football defeated the Churchill Bulldogs to seal a playoff spot, while varsity socccer beat the Sherwood Warriors 1-0 in the playoffs, advancing to the Regional Finals.

It was a cold and windy night, but a huge Spectator turnout, even though for an away game, helped football slip past the Bulldogs 28-24. Down 17-14 at the half, after touchdowns by wide receiver Michael Flack and runningback Kevin Cecala, wide receiver Rico Djidotor returned a kickoff for a touchdown, bringing the Viking lead to four after the extra point from Danny Lee.

Although the boys surrendered another touchdown to Churchill, they came back to take the lead late in the fourth quarter, and after regaining posession, they ran out the clock to win the game.

As it turned out, this game was the most important of the season. Since Paint Branch lost to Springbrook 20-0, it was the difference between the number two seed in the playoffs and not making them at all. Had the boys lost, their season would be over, but instead, they will have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs unless they play the Sherwood Warriors, who hold the number one seed.

As for boys soccer, the team won 1-0 in the Regional Semifinals, advancing to the Regional Finals where they will play the Bethesda Chevy Chase Barons Nov 10 to move on in the playoffs. Although they lost to the Barons 3-2 during the regular season, the boys are on a hot streak in which they have outscored opponents 6-1 over the last three games.