Viking Vogue, Week 1: Why fashion matters, every single day

It’s no secret that I have a passion for fashion, to use the cliché.  I’m interested in how my peers dress and what the latest styles are.  That’s why every week I’ll write about the trends and fashions that appeal to my fellow students.

One of my favorite designers, Alexander Wang, once said, “Anyone can get dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their days off that are most intriguing.”

It’s as if he took the words out of my mouth.

I often find myself wishing my fellow students took more pride in how they dress every day.  I love creating outfits for my family, my friends and myself, but I understand not everyone feels the same way. Just please, no more sweatpants.

Besides, dressing up should be fun. It’s important to look presentable in the school environment.  It’s not just your fellow students who have to look at you.  Teachers, counselors, the lunch ladies and the principal also notice how you present yourself.  If you would dress nicely for a date or a job interview, why wouldn’t you at least put some effort into dressing for school?

Like singing, dancing or painting, fashion is a form of self-expression.  Think of any of your favorite TV shows; the characters dress to reflect their personalities.  So what do your clothes say about your personality?  If you shop at Gamine or preppy stores like J. Crew or Madewell, it could mean you enjoy classic fashion styles.  If you prefer more of a bohemian or eclectic style, there’s a good chance it’s relevant to how you live your life.

Fashion is one of the oldest arts, and one that’s continuously evolving.  Yet at the same time, it’s always reliable.  While technology changes, fashion is always here.  Whether it’s bell-bottoms or shoulder pads, it’ll always be what clothes we cover ourselves with.

In the words of Coco Chanel: “Fashion fades, only style remains the same.”