Marijuana pamphlets clichéd, outdated and antiquated

In a variety of tones ranging from bored to insistent to sardonic, every teacher read 10 pages from “The Truth About Marijuana,” a booklet about the dangers of marijuana use, to their third period last week. The manner in which the facts were presented made it difficult for students to absorb an important message: “don’t do drugs.”While educating students about the harmful effects of marijuana was a good idea, having teachers simply read booklets to their classes was an ineffective way to address subject. The information would have had a greater impact if students had heard first-hand accounts from former marijuana users in an assembly-type setting.

Parents wanted the administration to raise awareness about the effects of marijuana after recent forums on alcohol abuse, principal Alan Goodwin said. The in-class sessions represented just another effort to keep students safe and informed, but their delivery diluted the important message.

The booklet from which teachers were asked to read was outdated—the surveys cited were conducted in 2008 or earlier—and some of the facts were simply incorrect. The pamphlet stated, for example, that unlike marijuana, alcohol doesn’t affect the immune system, thus making marijuana more dangerous in that respect. However, this information is false; alcohol also weakens the immune system, increasing chances of getting certain bacterial infections, according to an NIH study.

Goodwin acknowledged the booklet had some flaws, but he agreed to distribute it because of its low cost and important information.

In plenty of classes, teachers took the subject seriously and supplemented the booklet with personal stories about marijuana use. Other teachers had students take turns reading passages. But in some classes the teacher and/or students cracked jokes about the pamphlet. Many students left the pamphlet behind or recycled them.

Having teachers read 10 pages of a pamphlet for 15 minutes isn’t going to prevent students from smoking marijuana. Pop culture and peer pressure are strong influences. Students can’t take seriously a booklet with clichéd accounts of marijuana users. Statements like, “I started using on a lark, a dare from a best friend who said that I was too chicken to smoke a joint” or “The teacher in the school I went to would smoke three or four joints a day. He got lots of students to start smoking joints, me included” didn’t impress students as much as live personal accounts could have.

Perhaps the one positive aspect of the sessions was the opportunity for teachers to discuss the Student Assistance Program, which helps students who already use drugs or alcohol. Unfortunately, not all teachers covered this information, and those who did lost their legitimacy in the booklet discussions. Next time the administration should take a different approach.