Referring to ‘freshmen’ as ‘first year students’ doesn’t create gender equality

It’s obvious that the gender barrier is fading fast. Hilary Clinton is Secretary of State, Oprah Winfrey is one of the richest people in the world and “Modern Family”’s Cameron Tucker is a stay-at-home dad.The growing notion that school— mostly colleges— want to change the term “freshman” to “first year students” is surprising. Is our country so politically correct that every word has to be re-formatted so it’s gender neutral?

Such changes would be insignificant, and wouldn’t solve the problems that gender-equality activists advocate.

Changing “freshman” would mean other words, like “fireman” and “salesman,” also would have to change because they contain male-specific suffixes. Additionally, it’d be nearly impossible to effectively integrate new versions of these words into everyday language.

Small changes like these don’t solve gender-bias problems.

The word “freshman” bears very little significance to students, so why fix something that’s not broken?

Michael Farley, a reporter at the “Vermont Cynic,” argues that the University of Vermont’s idea to change the word is foolish.

“Is the beef with freshman that it has ‘man’ in it rather than just it being archaic?” Farley writes in his April 12 article “Point Counter Point—‘freshman’ versus ‘first-year.’” “If that’s the case, do PC people want to change history classes to peoplestry classes?”

There’s no conclusive evidence to prove female students would feel more included after the word change, so colleges should channel their money into a more productive, tangible change, like introducing more sports or internship/job opportunities for everyone, regardless of gender.