Glee, Myself and I: ‘Silly Love Songs’

After months of anticipation, Glee finally returned—and despite the classic Valentine’s Day-themed episode,  the themes are getting repetitive and  predictable, and the show doesn’t focus at all on music.  At this point in the show last year, there were barely any inappropriate scenes and the Glee club only focused on what they were going to sing at Regionals. Boy, what a change.

Kurt (Chris Colfer) sang with the Warblers during the Valentine's Day episode of Glee. Photo courtesy glee.so-rocks.com.

To start off, the love triangle among Quinn, Rachel and Finn is too much. It’s sad to watch how desperate Rachel is to get Finn back. Yet  Finn is a complete hypocrite. He’s dying to get Quinn back, but it requires her to cheat on her current boyfriend, Sam. Infidelity, the direct cause of Finn and Quinn breaking up in the first place, was also the reason he and Rachel broke up. But now that Finn is on the other side, he thinks it’s okay.  Wrong.  Completely wrong.

Next up, Kurt — that poor kid.  First, Kurt’s dad gets sick, then he’s bullied, then he transfers schools and thinks he’s finally found a guy that likes him. But in this episode, he discovers his “perfect guy” likes someone else.  Not only does Kurt have to watch Blaine go for another guy, he also has to help him convey his feelings for this guy though song.  I mean, really?  Why can’t anything good happen to Kurt ever?

Instead of finding ways to make Kurt’s life a living hell, the writers need to give him a few episodes where something good happens to him. It’ll give the show something new.

As always, Santana can find nothing better to do with her life than find ways to put people down, but when she finally gets a taste of her own medicine she can’t handle it.  In this episode, Puck decides to go for Lauren, leaving Santana in the lurch, so she finds someone else’s life to ruin.  Santana decides to expose Finn and Quinn’s “affair,” leaving poor Sam in the middle when he really cares for Quinn.  Rachel’s comment  to Santana (you know what I’m talking about…) may have been a tad harsh, but it was definitely well deserved.

The episode was a bit strange.  The kissing booth and the awkwardness between Kurt and Blaine perfectly illustrate how the show is maturing too quickly.  For a show that’s supposed to emphasize a group of outcasts who don’t care about popularity, it seems to strongly advocate that if you’re not the most popular guy or girl in school, you’re nothing.  The show needs to turn around and find last year’s magic.