Top 10 Indie albums of 2010

2010 was a good year for indie music. Keith Morris’s “OFF!” brought back classic American hardcore punk, Superchunk emerged from a nine year hiatus, Robert Pollard produced an insane amount of music again, and Titus Andronicus released the genre’s first ever concept album about the Civil War. Here’s the cream of the crop from the year.

No Age– “Everything In Between”- Finding the perfect blend of pure noise and conventional songwriting. No Age’s Dean Spunt (Drums, Vocals) and Randy Randall (Guitar) really stepped up their game on this record and have finally started to gain recognition for their years of hard work. The album requires a few listens to sink in because of the bands unusual“noise-rock” sound, but the bands genius shines through in songs like “Fever Dreaming” and “Glitter.”

Sufjan Stevens– “The Age Of Adz” Sufjan Steven’s heartfelt lyrics and clever songwriting earned him a reputation as one of the best songwriters in the last couple of years. His latest release solidifies this hard-earned reputation. Album standouts include the sullen “Bad Communication” and the Thom Yorke-esque “Too Much.”

Superchunk-“Majesty Shredding”- Superchunk released one of the finest albums of their career. The album never loses its intensity and good vibes as the band stays true to their power-pop roots with tons of catchy melodies and a crushing rhythm section. Standouts include, “My Gap Feels Weird” and “Rope Light.”

The Roots“How I Got Over”- The Roots have yet to release a dull album, so it came as no surprise that their long awaited ninth studio album is one of their best works to date. The album is a snapshot of a hip-hop group in their absolute prime, as songs like “How I Got Over” and “A Piece of Light” prove.

Japandroids-“Younger Us EP” Even though the LP only includes one original song and one cover, the album’s two songs compliment each other beautifully and the cover of breathes new life into the classic punk song.

Wavves-“King of the Beach”- In between onstage meltdowns and band fights, Wavves’ Nathan Williams released the perfect summer album filled with catchy melodies and great lyrics. Recording in an actual studio, as opposed to his parent’s basement, Williams is slowly but surely learning how to write the perfect pop song. The album seems like a modern Beach Boys record, which can only mean good things are to come from this gifted songwriter.

Ted Leo and The Pharmacists-“The Brutalist Bricks”- Ted Leo has been on the rise ever since his first unusually named album, “tej leo(?), Rx / pharmacists,” came out in 1999. Since then, Leo has churned out great albums that bridge the gap between the early ‘80s punk movement and the grunge sound of the ‘90s. In his latest effort, Leo finally masters the sound that he’s been hinting at since his beginnings. Songs like “The Mighty Sparrow” and “Bottled In Cork” really solidify Leo’s place as one of the top American songwriters in the industry.

Titus Andronicus-“The Monitor”- Loosely about the Civil War, Titus Andronicus’s latest concept album is a 65-minute tale of angst and opposition that clearly resembles early ‘80s punk legends, The Replacements material. Singer Patrick Stickles leads the band in their sophomore effort, as his rattling voice really shines on tracks such as “A More Perfect Union” and “Four Score And Seven.” Album standouts include “…And Ever” and the 14-minute epic “The Battle Of Hampton Roads.”

Boston Spaceships-“Our Cubehouse Still Rocks”Guided By Voices frontman Robert Pollard has released albums non-stop since the mid ‘90s and shows no sign of slowing down. His newest project is a three piece band that includes members of the Decemberists and Guided By Voices. The album is a friendly reminder that Pollard hasn’t lost his touch as a songwriter. It’s amazing that such a prolific artist hasn’t enjoyed mainstream success even after such great gems such as “Come On Baby Grace” and “I See You Coming.”

OFF!– “The First Four EP’s”- Black Flag/Circle Jerks frontman Keith Morris brought back the feel of ‘80s hardcore punk with his new bands “OFF!” The album is a perfect reminder that punk isn’t dead. Clocking in at around 18 minutes, the album’s 16 songs come fast and leave you wondering what just happened. Morris croons his signature punk snarl throughout the record as his bandmates play with the intensity of Black Flag in 1981.