Glee, Myself and I: ‘A Very Glee Christmas’

I’m sad to say this will be my last review until Glee starts again in February.  In typical “Glee” fashion, this episode ended with a cheesy, feel-good moment so we can handle the hiatus.  But before discussing that…

In the beginning of the episode, Artie learned  Brittany still believes in Santa Claus and decides he doesn’t want to ruin the “magic.” The Glee club helps Artie’s plan and goes on a New Directions visit to a mall Santa.  Their plan works brilliantly until Brittany tells Santa she wants Artie to be able to walk for her present.  To me, it all seemed a little too stupid, but then I realized how funny it is that Artie treats Brittany like a three-year-old. Now, I like them as a couple.

Sue — in her typical fashion — rigs the faculty Secret Santa so that she receives all the gifts.  Will, Bieste and Emma decide to take the gifts back and donate them to a homeless shelter.  Sue retaliates by dressing up as the Grinch (have you ever heard of a more fitting costume?) and stealing all the presents from the choir room.  At this point, I just expected this.

Then there was the seemingly never-ending Rachel-Finn drama.  Rachel decides to try and win Finn back by using the holiday season to soften him up.  All her diabolic plans fail (shocker), so Rachel’s left to spend Christmas with Mr. Schuester and the Glee club.  Not that I care much about Rachel’s happiness in particular, but it was a sweet ending.

As much as I dislike Rachel, I was annoyed with Finn even more in this episode.  He was way too cheesy and adopted a Rachel-like superiority complex when he encouraged the Glee club to raise money for the homeless shelter.  He needs to go back to just being dumb and funny, not emotionally charged and self-important.

Kurt also made an appearance in this episode when he sang “Baby It’s Cold Outside” with Blaine.  Their voices worked well together and I’m glad Kurt has found a new crush.

My favorite person in this episode was Bieste because she agreed to sneak into Brittany’s house, pretend to be Santa and explain that Artie wouldn’t be able to walk for Christmas.  Even though I thought the whole Brittany-believing-in-Santa thing was kind of ridiculous, I liked Bieste’s role.

She then buys Artie a top-of-the-line walking device, but doesn’t let anyone know she bought it, which brought the episode to a miraculous, warm and fuzzy ending (exactly what it needed).

For the next two months, the producers leave us wondering whether Rachel and Finn will ever get back together (for what, the hundredth time now?), whether Kurt and Blaine will ever become a couple and how long Emma and Carl’s marriage will last — because, let’s face it, the marriage is going to have to fall apart at some point.  Until then, happy holidays!