LIVE: Baseball takes on Quince Orchard in reigonal finals
The TikTokification of music — a destructive trend
The rising popularity of UFC with Gen Z
Landon School hosts 70th annual Azalea Festival
Track and Field competes at county championships
Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title

Nationals sign Jayson Werth, gain potential

Jayson Werth, although faced with some disagreement from the sports world, brings a new type of excitement to baseball in the nation’s capital.

The Nationals inked Werth to a 7-year, $126 million contract, the most expensiove contract signed in franchise history and 13th highest in MLB history. The Nats dished out a significant amount for Werth, who played for the Phillies the past four seasons and won a World Series ring with them. This move shows that the Nationals are now truly focused on becoming contenders in the future. As general manager Mike Rizzo says, the Werth signing signifies the start of “Phase 2,” meaning it’s now time to compete for division titles and playoff births.

According to Rizzo, the Nationals plan to make more acquisitions this off-season. There is still a hole at the first base position, considering Adam Dunn signed a four year deal with White Sox last week. The perfect fit at the position would be former Arizona Diamondback Adam LaRoche. Coming off a 25 home run, 100 RBI season, LaRoche would be the best replacement for Dunn. In addition, LaRoche showed his interest in the Nats and said that the team is going in the right direction and that he would definitely be interested in playing for them. He also supported the team’s signing of Werth. Tampa Bay Ray Carlos Pena.

The front office also made it clear that they want to add a number one starting pitcher in the team’s rotation. The Nats are interested in former Cy Young winner Brandon Webb, who missed all of the 2010 season with injury; meaning his best years may be behind him. On the other hand, the Nats are one of three teams who are pursuing the prized free agent of the off-season, former Cy Young winner Cliff Lee. The phenom pitcher single-handedly took out the Yankees in the playoffs and is coming off one of his best seasons with 185 strikeouts and a 12-9 record (7 of them were complete games). Additionally, Lee’s agent made it known clear that Lee and Werth are “best buddies,” so Lee may join his friend in D.C.

Even though experts predict yet another poor season for the team due to Strasburg’s season-ending injury, the upcoming season has some serious potential with Werth now in the lineup. The Nats are still want to spend money, so look for the team to add even more big names to their roster in the next few weeks.